First of all, if you’re thinking about buying the best jumper cables, I commend you for considering putting this important piece of safety equipment in your car or your family member’s car. Over the years, I’ve used booster cables to jump my car, my wife’s car, many friends’ and strangers’ cars, all of my children’s’ cars, and their girlfriends’ and wives’ cars. It’s just a fact of life that batteries die for all kinds of reasons and unfortunately they choose to die at some of the most inconvenient times and in the worst places!
Whether one of your family members comes to rescue you or a Good Samaritan, you need to be the one that controls your own destiny by having a set of jumper cables in your car ready to go when the need arises. Being ready is half the battle and it’s not like you have to think about it. You buy the cables, stow them in your car and your done.
So what makes a set of booster cables the best jumper cables to buy? There are three main considerations; cable gauge (thickness), cable length, and the connection clamps. Cable gauge affects how much power can be pushed through the cables to your battery. Cable length determines how far away the two vehicles can be and still effectively jump start. Finally, a lot of cables skimp on the alligator clamps on the end to save money. You need a good connection to jump start a battery, so the clamps are no place to skimp!
For good all-purpose cables, I recommend 4-gauge, 16-feet+, and heavy-duty alligator clamp. A 4-gauge set of cables will jump start just about anything and can channel up to 250% more power to your battery than 10 gauge cables. I recommend 20-foot cables, but you should choose 16-foot as a minimum. This is based on the theory that your situation might require that the power source vehicle may have to park end-to-end with yours. Shorter cables just wouldn’t reach and you need to be well-prepared. If you have an SUV or truck, it’s a no-brainer…longer, thicker cables are a necessity. Buy cables with heavy-duty alligator clamps. The best kind can connect to side posts as well as top posts, are well insulated, and have stiff enough springs to hang on to any connection.
We have chosen what we think is one of the best cable sets out there. It fits all the criteria and comes in at around $50 per set. See if you agree that these cables are the best jumper cables.
First of all, the Coleman Cable 08660 Booster Cables meet all of our criteria exactly. They are 4-gauge, 20-feet in length, and have heavy-duty alligator clamps. Second, they are less than $50 which makes them a good value. Take a look at their great features.
Best Jumper Cables
- Heavy duty, 4-gauge cables channel up to 250% more power to your battery than economy 10-gauge cables. These are the strongest consumer-grade cables you can buy and they are tough enough to resist motor oil, rain, and chemicals.
- You will appreciate the 20-foot length of these Road Power cables which are designed to easily reach from one battery to another in even the most difficult situations and with the largest vehicles.
- The 4-gauge, heavy-duty cables are the strongest consumer grade available, and they resist motor oil, rain, and chemicals for dependable use.
- Engineered for both warm and cold climates, Coleman Cable 08660 Booster Cables stay pliable in the withstanding temperatures down to -94 degrees F and can stand up to the heat.
- These Road Power booster cables have an exclusive T-Prene coating that insures flexibility when you’re using them and then makes them easy to store when you’re done.
- Coleman Cable has unique, safety, triple-polarity identification with color-coding, indent stamped, and Polar Glow clamps. The polarity labels (+ or -) glow in the dark so it’s easier to hookup properly even in low light situations.
- These are some of the safest clamps around due to heavy shielding on current-conducting clamp surfaces to prevent short circuits and recessed energized surfaces to prevent accidental contact.
- The clamps are heavy-duty and will fit top and side-post batteries equally well. They have extended clamp jaws with heavy grooves that help lock the connection in place for more reliable jump starting.
- The clamp handles are designed to make it easier for a wide variety of hand sizes to handle them more easily.
Best Jumper Cable Pros
- Heavy gauge
- Made in America
- High quality
- Great clamps
- Clamps can twist while opening
- No teeth on ends of clamps
- No strain-relief on copper cables
Read More Reviews
Best Jumper Cables Comparison Chart
|Title||AAA 4326AAA Heavy Duty 16' 6 Gauge Booster Cable||Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty 4-Gauge Auto Battery Booster Cables with Polar Glo-Watt Clamps (20 Feet)||Capri Tools Heavy-Duty Auto Jumper Cables - 20Ft Length - Heavy 4-Gauge Wire with Storage Bag||Pit Bull CHIBC12-16A 16-Feet 4-Gauge Booster Cable||Astro SP0616 Smart Plug 6 Gauge 16-Feet Booster Cables|
|Feature||Cables are Heavy Duty which delivers 100 percent more power than light duty cables|
Cables are extra long at 16-foot
Fits top and side post battery terminals
Quality rubber insulation
400-Ampere color coded clamps
|Fits top and side post batteries|
Ergonomically designed handles
Engineered for warm and cold climates
Polar-Glo polarity labels glow in the dark
Made in America
|Essential safety and security tool for every car and truck|
20 feet in length, nice set of jumper cable
Plus extra-thick real 4-gauge copper plated aluminum wire
Heavy-duty spring-loaded steel clamps, PVC coated for safety; copper jaws provide sure connection
Avoid being stranded waiting for a tow truck
Heavy Duty Booster Cables
Tangle Free Cables for Easier Use
|The Safest, Easiest Way to Jump-Start your car|
LED illuminates when clamps attached to battery terminals correctly
Protects You and Your Car?s Electrical System while eliminating shocks and sparks
Built and tested in strict compliance to original Automatic equipment standards
Fits all batteries. top or side post terminals
|Warranty||Limited Warranty: Manufacturer's liability is limited to product replacement or cash refund with proof of purchase within 1-year of purchase date.||1 Year|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of Jul 7 23:42:16 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Proper Jump Starting Technique Video
We recommend these articles:
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
Which jumper cables do you think are the best? Which booster cables are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
Thanks for reading! I hope this article has given you valuable information that you can use to help choose the best jumper cables for you!