You have a boat with two 12V batteries and you need a marine battery charger designed specifically for your situation. You shouldn’t buy a 24V single bank battery charger and run the charge through both batteries. One of the batteries will get more charge than the other and they will always be unbalanced. Plus, you won’t be able to take advantage of some of the multi-step maintenance process, recovery, and desulphation functions of modern smart marine battery chargers. What you need is a 2-bank boat battery charger connected independently to each battery that is designed to give each battery exactly what it needs and keep them both at peak charge and efficiency. It costs more, but it will be well worth it in the long run.
You don’t just need a boat battery charger. You also need a battery tender that will maintain the battery after it’s charged. A 2-bank charger sporting 10 amps per bank is a reasonably fast charger, but what do you do if you need to leave your boat unused for an extended period which boat owners often do. Some people call them a trickle charger but don’t be confused, battery tenders are smart chargers while trickle battery `chargers are typically not.
Particularly in the wintertime in certain parts of the country, boat owners store their boats to await spring when they can get out on the water again. In the meantime, if you’re not properly maintaining your batteries, you may end up with dead batteries or even worse, bad batteries.
Want to look at other battery charger/tenders? Be sure and see our great articles on some of the best:
The way to stop the damage and insure your batteries are ready to crank over your motor is to hook up a smart on board battery charger designed to maintain your battery when it’s not being used.
So don’t buy a battery charger that just brings your batteries up to charge, make sure it’s a smart charger capable of maintaining your batteries during the winter or over other extended periods when you’re not using your boat.
You can save money by buying one of the battery chargers not designed for the rigors of wet conditions either on the lake or at sea. The only trouble is, the charger will probably not last very long and you will find yourself getting a replacement probably throwing any savings out the window.
The smart buy is a fully waterproof charger sealed and designed for tough marine conditions. This will insure that your charger is there for you year after year when you need it.
Is the charger you’re considering mountable on your boat? It should be. By mounting the charger right to the bulkhead you make it much easier to use and hook up when you need to either charge or maintain the batteries.
We think we found a boat battery charger that meets all the conditions, gets great reviews, and is very popular with boaters. We searched the forums, customer reviews, retail sites, and manufacturer pages to find the perfect 2-bank charger that is rugged enough and designed to weather the tough marine environment while getting the best reviews out there.
Take a look at our pick and see if it’s the perfect marine charger for your needs!
Boat Battery Charger: Best Rated 2-Bank Marine Charger
NOCO isn’t kidding when they call the NOCO Genius GEN2 2-Bank Waterproof Smart On-Board Battery Charger a smart charger. The built-in microprocessor controls a fully-automatic 8-Step charging process designed to charge and maintain a variety of battery types. You can count on this model to safely handle Wet, Gel, MF, and AGM batteries. Its tough, fully-sealed waterproof construction, on-board mounting capability, safety features, fast charging technology, and long 3-Year limited warranty, this NOCO model has the features and capability you need at a budget price. Here’s what you need to know.
- Automatic 20 Amp (10 amps/bank) 2-bank, lightweight, compact, fully-sealed, waterproof (IP68), on-board, smart battery charger
- High-frequency, high-efficiency, switch mode design makes charger more lightweight and compact than competitive models
- Intelligent NOCO VosFX processor is fully interactive, constantly monitors input, the attached battery, and the charger itself to diagnose, recover, charge, and maintain batteries whatever the current needs
- Handles multiple battery chemistries including Wet, Gel, MF, and AGM batteries (25-230 Ah)
- NOCO high technology charges batteries 2X faster than traditional linear chargers and is variable input compensated producing a 100 per cent full charge even with varying A/C input voltages
- 100 per cent completely sealed construction protects this model from the most extreme environments
- Specific gravity optimization produces a stabilizing charge that optimizes the specific gravity of a battery for increased performance
- Safety features include protection against reverse polarity, short circuit, open circuit, sparks, overheating, overcurrent, and overcharge
- Recovery mode recovers deeply discharged and sulfated batteries using pulse charging
- Abnormality protection automatically turns off the charger if it remains in bulk charge mode for an extended period of time
- Mounts easily on boats, tractors, and a wide range of equipment
- Meets ISO 8846 marine standards
- Non-igniting and temperature controlled for safe and worry-free operation (Meets US Coast Guard 33 CFR 183.410 standards)
- Output leads are 6-feet long and AC power cord is 5-feet long
- Dimensions are 10.2L x 9W x 5.7H inches and it weighs 6 lbs.
- 3-Year Limited Warranty
8-Step Intelligent Charging Process
- Steps 1 & 2: Analyze & Diagnose
- Checks the battery’s initial condition, including voltage, state-of-charge and health, to determine if the battery is stable before charging.
- Step 3: Recovery
- Initializes the Recovery desulphation process (if needed) for deeply discharged or sulfated batteries by pulsing small amounts of current.
- Step 4: Initialize
- Starts the charging process with a gentle (soft) charge.
- Step 5: Bulk
- Begins the Bulk charging process based on the condition of the battery and returns 80% of the battery’s capacity.
- Step 6: Absorption
- Brings the charge level to 90% by delivering small amounts of current to provide a safe, efficient charge. This limits battery gassing and is essential to prolonging battery life. Switches to a constant current charge rate to bring your batteries close to 90% charge.
- Step 7: Optimization
- Finalizes the charging process and brings the battery to maximum capacity. In this step, the charger utilizes multi-layered charging profiles to fully recapture capacity and optimize the specific gravity of the battery for increased run time and performance. The charger will switch to Maintenance if the battery tells the charger that more current is needed.
- Step 8: Maintenance
- Continuously monitors the battery to determine when a maintenance charge should be initiated. If the battery voltage falls below its target threshold, the charger will restart the Maintenance cycle until voltage reaches its optimal state and then discontinues the charge cycle. The cycle between Optimization and Maintenance is repeated indefinitely to keep the battery at full charge. The battery charger can be safely left connected indefinitely without the risk of overcharging.
- High-tech smart charger
- Easy to install
- Great quality construction and materials
- Safe to use over long periods
- Short power cord
- Leads are short
- Poor Manual
- Only wakes up to test battery every 24 hours
Gen Series Owner’s Manual >>>
NOCO Genius AC Port Plug w/Integrated Extension Cable GCP1
Mounts to the exterior of any vehicle to make the charging port accessible in a more convenient location. The integrated extension cable (16”) quickly plugs-n-plays with any onboard battery charger without the need of cord modifications or hand wiring. Its sleek, ultra low-profile design is requires 50% less space and mounts to Boats, Golf Carts, UTVs or virtually any other electric vehicle. Rated for use at 13 Amps (13A), 125 Volts (125V) and UL Approved for US and Canada.
NOCO Genius AC Port Plug w/Integrated Extension Cable GCP1 >>>
Boat Battery Charger Comparison Chart
|Title||NOCO Genius GENM2 8 Amp 2-Bank Waterproof Smart On-Board Battery Charger||Pro Mariner ProSport Generation 3 12A 2-Bank Charger 43012||ProMariner ProSport 20 Generation 3 20 Amp, 12/24 Volt, 2 Bank 3 Battery Charger||Battery Tender 022-0165-DL-WH 12-Volt 2-Bank Battery Management System||ProMariner ProSport 8 Gen 3 Heavy Duty Recreational Series On-Board Marine Battery Charger - 8 Amp - 2 Bank||MinnKota MK 220D On-Board Battery Charger (2 Banks, 10 Amps Per Bank)|
|Feature||8 Amp (4 Amp per bank) Smart On-Board Battery Charger for 12-volt batteries; charges and maintains all types of lead-acid batteries from 20-120Ah, including Wet, Gel, MF, and AGM|
Designed for safety; Safe for anyone to use. Does not generate sparks, and protects against reverse battery hookup, short circuit, open circuit, overheat, overcurrent and does not overcharge the battery
Brings batteries back to life; an advanced recovery mode repairs damaged areas of the battery to provide longer, healthier battery performance. Recovers deeply discharged and sulfated batteries with pulse charging.
Rapid Charging Technology; charges batteries 2X faster than traditional battery chargers, and a lightweight, compact design
The most advanced charger ever; It features innovative and advanced technology that makes charging easy and simple. The charger makes important charging decisions so you don't have to. It is the safest, most effective charger you may ever use.
|ProMariner ProSport 12 Gen 3 Heavy Duty Recreational Series On-Board Marine Battery Charger - 12 Amp - 2 Bank||20 Amp charging capacilty|
12 or 24 Volt output
2 Battery banks
Microprocessor controled, w/ LED Status indicators
|Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger; spark proof and reverse polarity protected|
Two independent charging stations, each providing 12 volts/1.25 amps, with temperature compensation to ensure optimum charge voltage according to ambient temperature
Complete 3-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Float Mode) allows for optimization of battery power, without overcharging
Perfect for all AGM (absorbed glass mat), sealed maintenance free and flooded batteries
2-year limited warranty
|2 Banks, 10 Amps per Bank|
Multi-stage charging and automatic temperature compensation
Saltwater tested and fully corrosion-resistant
Three Year Warranty
10 AMPS Per Bank
2 Charging Banks
20 AMPS Total Output
Digitally-Controlled Microprocessor Design Protects Batteries So User Can Stay On The Water Longer
Recovery Time: 4D6 Hours
|Warranty||5-Year Limited||2 year material and workmanship|
|Price||Too Low to Display||Too Low to Display||Too Low to Display||$80.99||$110.42||$181.68|
|Height||5.5 inch||6 inch||8.5 inch||6.4 inch||7 inch|
|Weight||5.8 pound||6 pound||7.2 pound||3.3 pound||12.4 pound|
|Width||2.2 inch||9 inch||6 inch||10.5 inch||8 inch|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of Aug 8 22:59:56 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this NOCO Genius Smart Charger? Which onboard battery charger and maintainer are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our CarBatteryChargersCentral.com post! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you find the best boat battery charger for your needs!