It would be easy to assume a compact jump starter that uses new lithium-ion battery technology has less power than one of its lead-acid counterparts, but your assumption is probably off-base. A new lithium compact jump starter designed for larger engines has plenty of power to boost the battery of larger vehicles to start them even in colder conditions.
It seems like new models of compact jump starter are put on the market everyday making it hard to keep up with the changes, but we try to keep our finger on the pulse and introduce new models we like as soon as possible after they are available.
A case in point is the new Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety battery booster and power bank. Introduced recently, it has garnered a faithful following of users who love its compact size, durable design, and many features.
One of its features is a must have when it comes to compact lithium battery boosters. We’re talking about the exclusive Rugged Geek INTELLIBOOST Technology. INTELLIBOOST is a safety feature that makes jump starting safer and easier while protecting the jump starter, battery, and vehicle from damage.
Interested in seeing other high-quality battery jump starters? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
A standard compact jump starter simply sends power to the cables regardless of what the cables are hooked to. This opens the possibility for improper connections, short circuits, and possible disaster.
The INTELLIBOOST cables on the RUGGED GEEK jump starters are designed to be safer so that you can even touch them together and they won’t spark.
Here’s how the INTELLIBOOST battery jump starter cables work:
- When you first plug the cables into the car jump starter, the light on them will alternate red/green.
- Turn the vehicle key to ACC (Accessory) to allow the INTELLIBOOST cables to ensure the power draw is proper and there are not short circuits
- Once you connect the portable jump starter cables to a battery on a vehicle that needs boosting, the intelligent cables will check to ensure they are connected to the right polarity (red to positive, black to negative). If hooked up in reverse it will simply beep to let you know.
- It will then ensure the draw from the vehicle is proper.
- Assuming all is hooked up properly, the light will turn solid green and you are ready to start your vehicle.
One additional important benefit of INTELLIBOOST cables is surge detection. Once the vehicle starts the cables will detect the surge in power going back to the battery from the vehicle’s charging system and will stop power from going back into the jump box. This is a significant safety feature that protects the battery booster pack from damage.
Most compact jump starter/booster packs do not provide this protection and recommend that you quickly disconnect the cables once the vehicle is started.
Be careful when evaluating the mAh ratings of a car battery jump starter. Most published mAh ratings are published at a voltage that is not specified with the rating. That means that the manufacturer is free to specify a higher mAh rating without justifying it with voltage just to make the battery booster seem more powerful.
Look for reputable manufacturers who report their battery capacity in watt-hour (Wh). Wh takes voltage out of the equation and allows you to make a meaningful comparison.
We searched automotive forums, retail sites, social media, consumer sites, manufacturer sites, and customer review sites to find out more about this new battery booster offering from Rugged Geek.
Look at what we discovered and see if this compact jump starter model is the best jump starter for your needs!
Compact Jump Starter: New Powerful Compact Battery Booster
New from Rugged Geek is their Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety 1000A Portable Lithium Booster Pack and Power Bank that features the ability to start gas engine vehicle up to 7.0L and diesels up to 3.5L and integrated INTELLIBOOST jump cables that make jump starting any vehicle safer and easier while protecting the booster pack, vehicle battery, and your vehicle from damage. It safely jump starts several vehicle types including cars, trucks, vans, motorcycles, boats, SUVs, ATV, UTVs, power sports vehicles, water sports vehicles, and more. It is also a handy power bank with the power and flexibility to charge a variety of portable devices including smartphones, tablets, laptops, portable GPS, and more.
Compact Jump Starter: Features
- Powerful 1000A peak, 39Wh capacity Lithium-Ion compact jump starter and power bank capable of jump starting vehicles with gas engines up to 7.0L and diesels up to 3.5L
- 39Wh 60c Grade A lithium cell battery allows for high boosting levels while insuring it can safely charge USB devices
- Unique tire tread pattern exterior is designed to look good and features a rubberized coating for ease of carrying
- Smart INTELLIBOOST safety jumper cables provide protection against reverse polarity, short circuits, and power surges to make jump starting safer and easier while protecting the battery booster pack, your vehicle battery, and your vehicle against damage
- Jumper cable clamps feature Dual Power tips with upgraded 8-gauge cable
- Clear Digital LCD display offers all the vital info you need at a glance including charge and output levels/voltage
- Dual INTELLI-USB 5V/2.1A charging ports
- Dedicated jump pack switchable 12V/16V/19V 3.5A laptop charging port
- Integrated multi-mode, ultra-bright LED flashlight operates as a standard flashlight, as a strobe light or as an SOS emergency beacon
- Compact jump starter has measurements of 6.3L x 2.9W x 1.3H inches and it weighs only 15.8 oz.
- 1-Year hassle-free limited warranty on this battery jumper
- 1 – 3-in-1 USB cable with new USB-C, Lightning, and microUSB connections
- 1 – Soft protective carrying case
- 1 – 12V power port compatible car charger
- 1 – UL-listed wall charger
See Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety 1000A Portable Lithium Booster Pack and Power Bank Customer Reviews >>>
- Compact and very powerful
- Simple to use
- Durable, quality construction and materials
- Smart jumper cables are a great feature
- Cloth case is not very protective
- Some complaints that jumper clamps are too small for some battery posts
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED 'AS IS' AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.
Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety 1000A Portable Lithium Booster Pack and Power Bank User Manual >>>
Compact Jump Starter: Comparison
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this new compact jump starter? Which jump starter are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
A battery booster is an essential piece of emergency gear for any vehicle and a new lithium-ion model is the compact choice that makes it easy to jump start a vehicle. If you have a larger vehicle with a more powerful engine, you will want to choose one designed for larger vehicles. We sincerely hope that our article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the right compact jump starter for your needs!