You use or are thinking about using a deep-cycle battery probably in a marine application and you’re wondering where to find a good deep cycle battery charger to keep it charged when you need it. Not all lead-acid car battery chargers are designed to be deep cycle battery charger especially since the needs of a deep cycle battery are drastically different than those of a regular car battery.
A 12V deep cycle battery is a lead-acid battery that is used in applications where it will spend much of its life being regularly deeply discharged. That might include trolling motors, sailboats, other small vessels, vessels with a deep cycle marine battery, forklifts, floor sweepers, motorized wheel chairs and scooters, remote-site electronics, RVs, highway electric vehicles, traffic signals, uninterruptible power supplies, audio equipment, or golf cart batteries to name some examples. A deep cycle battery charger must be able to handle their special needs when charging deep cycle batteries.
Need a battery jump starter? They are the latest automotive must-have and we have the scoop on the best ones! Be sure and see our articles Car Jump Starters: Top Rated Compact Brand, Lithium Jump Starter: Best New Battery Booster Brand, Heavy Duty Jump Starter: Top 4 Compact Boosters, Battery Booster Pack: New Schumacher Battery Jump Starter, Car Starter: Top 7 Compact Battery Jump Starters, and Car Battery Jump Starter: Best Compact Battery Booster.
Starter batteries used in cars and trucks are designed to deliver high-current, short bursts of power to crank over an engine. Once your vehicle is started, the alternator takes over and supplies power to the car’s electrical system and recharges the battery. A starter car battery may go through its whole life rarely being discharged to much below 20% of its capacity. Usually, smart deep cycle battery chargers can also function as car battery chargers.
Deep-cycle batteries have special needs when it comes to recharging and maintaining. They last longer and charge faster if they are charged according to a temperature-dependent and battery chemistry-dependent schedule.
Under ideal circumstances an example schedule for a 200 amp-hour battery might be a Bulk Phase where charging proceeds at about 15 volts and 50 amps to approximately 75% charge followed by an Acceptance Phase where the battery is maintained at about 15 volts while reducing the amperage and charging the battery the remaining 25 percent capacity at a declining rate.
Once charged, the battery should be maintained using a Maintenance Float Phase where the voltage is reduced to around 13.4 volts to maintain the battery without losing electrolyte.
Another capability of some deep cycle battery chargers is an Equalization or Desulphation phase where the battery continues to be charged to a controlled electrolyte boil dissolving lead sulfate crystals collected on the lead plates and prolonging battery life.
This schedule is complicated enough that to manually manage it would be very burdensome and time-consuming and you would run the possibility of making a mistake and damaging your battery or charger. Your best choice is a “smart charger” that is designed to handle the unique charging schedule of deep cycle batteries.
Smart chargers have a built-in microprocessor that can provide the correct charging schedule required by a deep cycle battery.
Only one of the deep cycle battery chargers on our list is designed for California and Oregon use. Be aware that if you need a CA or OR battery charger, you will need to look for that model of the same charger.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these deep cycle battery chargers is the best deep cycle battery charger for your needs!
Deep Cycle Battery Charger: 5 Top Rated Deep Cycle Chargers
The Schumacher SEM-15662-CA 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Battery Maintainer is the perfect charger for all types of batteries including those for motorcycles, tractors, mowers, car, truck, marine, and deep cycle. It can charge both 6V and 12V batteries and has the capability to switch to float mode automatically to prevent overcharging. With a built-in microprocessor, the SEM-1562A-CA automatically detects battery voltage and then provides a multi-phase charging schedule based on data analyzed by the processor. Here’s what you need to know.
- Maintains both 12V and 6V batteries including deep-cycle models from small motorcycle and ATV batteries to larger car, truck, and boat batteries and is perfect for maintaining batteries stored for long periods
- Built-in microprocessor constantly monitors battery and collects data to insure optimal charging at the fastest rates according to the needs of your specific battery
- Attach stored batteries to this charger indefinitely thanks to its automatic switching from full charge to float mode when the battery is fully charged to prevent overcharging
- Automatic temperature compensation adjusts maximum and maintain voltages based on ambient air temperature
- Desulphation mode for charging batteries left discharged for an extended period
- Smart display LEDs provide charging, charged, and trouble indications
- Quick disconnect harness
- Rugged plastic housing
- Safety Features
- Reverse polarity protection
- Prevents thermal runaway by automatically reducing current if it detects battery overheating
- Charger won’t start unless a proper connection exists
- 2-Year limited warranty
- Battery clip cable assembly
- Ring terminal cable assembly
Dimensions are 2-5/8H x 6L x 3D inches and it weighs 2.5 lbs.
- Great for maintaining batteries for long periods of storage
- Easy to use
- Very informative LED lights
- Great value
- Slow charging of larger batteries
- Better for maintaining than charging
- Poor quality cables
- Cables could be longer
The OptiMate 6 Ampmatic Battery-Saving Charger-Tester-Maintainer has an exclusive Ampmatic microprocessor designed to automatically select the best charging schedule and charge current for each specific battery. A built-in multi-stage desulfation program saves batteries that are left discharged for long periods and can extend battery life by up to 400%. Its Charge and Rest maintenance program allows this charger to be left connected to batteries indefinitely without overcharging. Here’s what you need to know.
- Perfect for small and large batteries from ATV and motorcycle to car, truck, and boat starter with deep-cycle batteries in dry, wet, or snow conditions
- Exclusive Ampmatic fully-automatic microprocessor detects battery size and condition and provides the optimal charging schedule using 9 charge/test stage multi-phase charging means no thinking and no buttons to press
- Exclusive Charge and Rest maintenance program will continue to maintain batteries indefinitely without overcharging
- 3 desulfation modes saves batteries that are left discharged for extended periods and can extend battery life by up to 400%
- Proven to save neglected/sulfated batteries down to 5 volts with safe, low-pulse desulfation for batteries connect to vehicle circuitry
- 16 gauge SPT-2W power and output cables are rated down to -40 degrees F
- Globally-capable accepting AC power between 100 to 240V at 50/60Hz
- Weatherproof polycarbonate sealed construction enclosure with built-in wall mounts
- 1 – Fused weatherproof permanent lead
- 1 – High quality set of charge clips
- A real battery-saver, it has saved countless batteries
- Quality construction
- Simple to use
- A little pricey
- LED readout is a little complicated
- Some reports of poor tech support
Optimate 6 Ampmatic Product Info >>>
Optimate 6 Indicator Light Features Video
One of the most popular and capable 12V smart battery chargers on the market, the Deltran Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 1.25 Amp Battery Charger is known for its ability to charge and maintain a variety of battery types and chemistries without overcharging. It features temperature compensation, automatic float mode, fast charging comparable with 3A models, and a variety of safety features. Here’s what you need to know about this Deltran charger.
- 1.25A smart, fast charger is designed to charge as fast or faster than any 3A models available and is perfect for ATVs, motorcycles, lawn mowers, and scooters
- Complete 4-step charging program including Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, and Float Mode
- Microprocessor controlled smart charger switches automatically to float mode when charging is complete to prevent overcharging
- Ambient temperature-compensated charging
- Reverse Polarity Protection with Red/Green alternating warning and Spark Proof connections
- Full 10-Year limited warranty
- 1 –Quick connect harness for hard to reach places
- 1 – Set Battery Tender ring terminals
- 1 – Set Battery Tender alligator clips
See California and Oregon model Battery Tender Plus 022-0185G >>>
- Great value
- Very reliable operation
- Durable construction and materials
- Simple to use
- Power cord could be longer
- May take a long time to charge for larger batteries
Battery Tender Product Guide Video
The CTEK MUS 4.3 12V Battery Charger (56-864) is one of the highest-rated smart chargers available. It can charge and maintain a variety of battery types and chemistries as well as solve a wide range of battery-related problems. Its state-of-the-art technology features 8 patented steps to maximize battery life and performance. Here’s what you need to know.
- Built-in microprocessor delivers 8 patented steps maximizes battery life and performance including desulphation process that removes sulfate from lead plates, battery diagnosis that determines the health of your battery, a reconditioning function that can restore stratified and deeply discharged batteries, maintenance charging, cold weather optimization, and AGM charging.
- Selectable 0.8A and 4.3A charging of 12V batteries from 1.2 to 110Ah with maintenance charging up to 160Ah
- A unique LED display keeps you informed during entire charging process
- Safety features include, spark-proof connections, short-circuit protection, reverse polarity protection, and overcharge protection
- Splash, dust, and water-resistant
- 5-Year limited warranty
- 1 – Comfort Connect clamp
- 1 – Comfort Connect M6 eyelet
- 1 – Handy storage bag
- Good value
- Reliably charges and maintains batteries
- Quality construction and materials
- Trusted by high-performance car companies around the world
- Reconditioning limited to narrow range of battery types and chemistries
- Needs second charging rate
- Alligator clamps aren’t the best quality
- Charging cables could be longer
CTEK Smart Chargers Features Video
NOCO’s emphasis with the NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger is performance and safety. One of the most flexible chargers on the market, it can handle the battery charging needs of automotive, marine, RV, powersports, lawn and garden, micro-hybrid start-stop vehicles, CANBUS electrical systems, and deep-cycle batteries. Built-in speed charge functionality allows this charger to charge up to 2X faster than ordinary chargers. Here’s what you need to know.
- The G3500 is a 3.5A charger designed to charger both 6V and 12V lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries up to 120Ah
- With its onboard microprocessor, the G3500 monitors battery activity for safer and more efficient charging as well as minimizing energy consumption
- Overcharge protection in float mode allows you to keep this charger connected to your battery 24/7 indefinitely without overcharging
- With built-in speed charging capability it can charge batteries up to 2X faster than ordinary chargers and can even repair damaged batteries
- One of the few chargers designed to handle micro-hybrid start-stop vehicles and CANBUS electrical systems
- Intuitive LED indicators provide visual diagnostic information and feedback
- Redundant levels of safety include Spark Proof connections, reverse polarity detection, and overcharge protection, overcurrent protection, open-circuit protection, short-circuit protection, and overheating protection
- Streamlined design makes the G3500 very compact, ultra-portable, and amazingly lightweight
- A rubberized base avoids surface slipping and scratching while in use
- Impact-, UV-, and IP65 water resistant
- 5-Year limited warranty
- 1 – Set X-connect battery clamps
- 1 – Set eyelet terminals
- Great performance
- Lightweight and easy to use
- High quality build and materials
- Fast charging and reliable maintenance
- Can be slow on larger batteries
- Instructions can be confusing
- Cables could be longer
- Better at maintenance than charging
Introducing the NOCO Genius G3500 Video
Deep Cycle Battery Charger Comparison Chart
|Title||NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Smart Battery Charger and Maintainer||CTEK 93-56-864 MUS 4.3 Black 12V Battery Charger||Schumacher SEM-1562A 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Maintainer||OptiMate 6 Ampmatic battery saving charger-tester-maintainer||Battery Tender Battery Charger Plus 12 V 1.25 A Fully Automatic|
|Feature||3.5 Amperes Smart Battery Charger for 6-volt and 12-volt batteries; charges and maintains all types of lead-acid batteries from 1.2-120Ah, including Wet, Gel, MF, and AGM|
Designed for safety; safe for anyone to use; does not generate sparks, and protects against reverse battery hookup, short circuit, open circuit, overheat, overcurrent and does not overcharge the battery
Brings batteries back to life; an advanced recovery mode repairs damaged areas of the battery to provide longer, healthier battery performance; recovers deeply discharged and sulfated batteries with pulse charging
Multiple Charging Modes; A Cold/AGM Mode optimized charge mode for charging batteries in cold weather below 32 degree Fahrenheit or AGM batteries, and a Small Battery Mode (900ma) for charging smaller capacity batteries on Motorcycles, atvs, and more
The most advanced charger ever; it features innovative and advanced technology that makes charging easy and simple. the vosFX Processor built inside every charger makes important charging decisions so you don't have to; it is the safest, most effective charger you may ever use
|Great for multiple vehicles|
Patented reconditioning function
Easy to read display
All Vega products are backed by our 1 year manufacturer defect warranty, the warranty excludes wear and tear, any end-user modification, improper use or abuse, and/or crash damage
|6-volt and 12-volt battery charger; automatically changes from full-charge to float-mode monitoring to prevent overcharging|
Ideal for keeping batteries charged while in storage
Rugged plastic housing
Includes charger, jump cables, ring connectors
7.1 by 10.5 by 5.9 inches; 5 pounds; 1-year limited warranty
|OptiMate 6 - highly advanced 5 Amp 12V fully automatic 9 step Battery Saving Charger-Tester-Maintainer with unique Ampmatic control that enables charging of all 12V lead-acid batteries (STD flooded, AGM, GEL, Spiral Cell) from 2Ah to 240Ah|
Weatherproof Polycarbonate enclosure with integrated wall mounts, 16 guage SPT-2W power and output cables rated down to minus 40 degrees, O11 auto-marine permanent battery connection cable and O4 battery clip accessories with OptiMate SAE connector
PROVEN Save neglected / sulfated batteries other chargers can't, even batteries down to 05 Volts with additional safe low volt pulse desulfation for batteries still connected to vehicle circuitry
Ampmatic processor selects the best program for battery condition and controls charge rate continuously to match battery size whilst testing battery for cell damage or unusual condition
The most advanced 5 Amp charger that does all the thinking for you, no decisions to make about battery type or size no buttons to press, with advanced 24/7 maintenance program that includes a 12 hour battery cool down test
|Warranty||5 Year Limited Warranty||2 year limited warranty||3 Years|
|Height||4 inch||11 inch||10.3 inch|
|Weight||2.65 pound||2.5 pound||2 pound||2 pound|
|Width||10 inch||4 inch||10.3 inch|
|Length||10.5 inch||7 inch||3.8 inch|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of Mar 31 4:23:19 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of our top-rated smart chargers? Which smart charger are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our CarBatteryChargersCentral.com post! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the right deep cycle battery charger for your needs!