You are looking for a solar 12 volt battery charger and maintainer and you’re not sure which one is best for you. We have done the research for you and picked 5 solar battery chargers that we think are good candidates for you.
They all generate between 12 and 15 watts of power and should maintain a charge on your 12 volt battery nicely, particularly when you’re off the grid. Take a look at our list and see if one of these is the perfect 12 volt battery charger for you!
Ganz Eco-Energy is known for their lightweight, non-glass, highly efficient, semi-flexible, weatherproof solar panels designed to meet marine grade requirements and requirements for other outdoor transportation applications. The Ganz Eco-Energy GSP-12 (Also known as the CPV-12) is one of their best examples of a high-quality, nearly indestructible solar panel charging kit. Just look at all of its great features:
- Crystalline cells have the industry’s highest conversion efficiency, providing maximum power while taking up less space.
- The kit is fully weatherproof, lightweight, and compact at 17.5 x 10.5 x ¼ inches.
- A 10 foot, outdoor-rated power cable is included which gives you more flexibility to place your solar panel and connects directly to your battery or charge controller.
- The solar panel is semi-flexible with an unbreakable plastic film surface and stainless steel backing
- Its flexibility makes it ideal for either flat or gently curved surfaces even in harsh environments.
- The kit comes with a generous 5-Year materials limited warranty.
- The unit comes with a blocking diode, all-weather holder and fuse, battery eyelets, and a cigarette lighter adapter (solder-free connex).
Note: Due to its blocking diode, a voltage regulator (controller) is NOT needed for batteries rated over 35AH.
- Rugged, weatherproof
- Semi-flexible panel
- Great performance
- No charge controller
- Hardware pictured in some views is not included
The BatteryMINDer SCC-015 Solar Charging System is made by VDC Electronics, Inc. which was founded in 1993 and is a privately held company headquartered in Englewood, New Jersey. They specialize in battery management products designed to improve and extend the life of any/all type lead-acid based batteries through the use of their proprietary design techniques and U.S. patented desulphation circuitry. They are the leading manufacturer of pulse type battery charger-maintainer-conditioners in the U.S. and are a 100% owned American company founded by personnel, each with over forty years of battery charging design, development and manufacturing experience. You can count on VCD Electronics, Inc. to produce only the best in American-made products.
The BatteryMINDer Solar Charging System is the perfect size and power solar charger that will charge and even maintain your 12-volt batteries extending their life. Look at all the great features of this solar charger:
Solar 12 Volt Battery Charger Performance
- With its included microprocessor, this charger actively monitors your battery’s voltage any time it is receiving sunlight.
- An internal program adjusts its output several times a second, based on its monitoring reading, to quickly and correctly charge your battery while dissolving damaging sulfate.
- Its long-term float (maintenance) stage can add years of service to your 12V lead-acid, maintenance-free, marine deep cycle and sealed AGM batteries.
- VDC guarantees all its products unconditionally for one (1) full year from date of sale to retail customers.
- They also offer a 5 year “no hassle” warranty covering repair or replacement at the manufacturer’s discretion, should they fail to operate as advertised.
- The SCC-015 works with all 12 volt, lead-acid batteries including flooded (filler cap/maintenance-free/VRLA/SLA), Gel Cel, AGM (eg. Optima/Odyssey), starter, deep-cycle, and hybrid.
- This unit can charge and maintain/condition up to four 12 volt batteries of any size/brand/type.
- Long 20 foot DC solar panel connection and 4 foot DC cord with quick connector allows you to place the solar panel where you need to.
- Guaranteed to never overcharge no matter how long its connected to your battery.
- Reverse Polarity Protection
- Overcharge Protection
- Short Circuit Protection
- Spark Protection
Included In Kit
- 15 watt amorphous silicon solar panel (1′ x 3′)
- 2 foot fused ring terminal cord set with quick connector
- Battery condition indicator
- Mounting hardware
- Works great even in cloudy weather
- Easy to hook up. Almost foolproof.
- High quality
- Hardware not included to put gap between panel and flat surface as specified
- Charge controller LEDs difficult to interpret
- Panel large and heavy for 15 watt unit
All Battery Tender® battery chargers are designed to fully charge and maintain a wide range of styles of lead acid batteries in ways that avoid the potential damaging effects that can be caused by most trickle chargers. Battery Tender battery chargers have the following characteristics:
- Fully Automatic: At the end of the regular charger cycle, every Battery Tender® battery charger automatically switches its output voltage to a safe, storage or float level that eliminates the need to constantly check on the conditions of the battery.
- Compact, Lightweight Construction: At any given power level, Battery Tender® battery chargers offer some of the highest charging power density in the industry.
You can take advantage of sun’s power with this Battery Tender 15-Watt Solar Panel with built-in Battery Tender 3-step automatic microprocessor controller. Take a look at this Solar Battery Tender’s great features:
- Built-in 3-step microcontroller for precise charging
- Built-in temperature compensation sensor
- Battery Tender solar panels are the only panels available with a built-in charge controller to prevent overcharging.
- Easy, do-it-yourself installation
- It’s 100% portable and ideal for battery charging and maintenance, and for storage spaces without power access.
- Waterproof for outdoor installations
- Spark proof
- Great for storage units
- Easy to handle
- Cord length too short
- Charging sensor next to solar panel is inconvenient
- Glass should be thicker
Located in Santa Fe Springs, CA. Instapark specializes in laser modules, laser pointers and voltage converters. They have been in business for 11 years in the North American Market. They pride themselves on excellent quality and construction of their products. They have started into the mono-crystalline solar panel market with some great introductions including the Instapark SPCC-15W.
Maybe you’re tired of gas and diesel generators and all the hassle associated. Maybe you want something cleaner and greener and simpler to maintain. Maybe you just want to save money. In any case, the Instapark SPCC-15W 12 volt battery charger will give you the clean, quiet, green, and cost effective charging you’ve been looking for. Check out these great features:
- The solar panel provides 15 watts of power output to charge and maintain any 12 volt lead-acid battery.
- A 12 volt solar charge controller prevents battery overcharging.
- Cable length of 12 ½ feet make it easier to find the ideal location for the panel.
- Compact panel dimensions of only 18 ¼ x 12 x 2/3 inches
- Handy USB charging port
- High efficiency mono-crystalline solar cells will give you as much as 80% efficiency even after 25 years of continuous use.
- Unlike amorphous solar panels, which only last about 5-7 years of continuous use, mono-crystalline panels are much more efficient and thus smaller in size while producing higher wattage.
- All Instapark solar panels have a 5-year limited product warranty that covers its Photovoltaic modules
- They also have a power warranty that guarantees a power output greater than 80% of the minimum peak power as specified within 25 years from the date of delivery.
- Versatile and reliable
- Works flawlessly
- Good quality panel
- Needs better connectors than alligator clips provided
- Needs easier mounting holes
- Charge controller cheap contruction
Sunforce Products Inc., maker of the Sunforce 50033 15-Watt Solar Charging Kit is a leader in the renewable energy industry, manufacturing and distributing both solar and wind powered products. Their products range from solar panels and wind turbines to system components such as charge controllers and inverters, as well as solar lawn and garden and security products. Sunforce is a privately held company established in 2003, and their products can be found at retailers worldwide.
The Sunforce 50033 is a high-quality solar charger and maintainer that will fit well into your plans to charge any 12 volt lead-acid battery without the need for A/C power. It provides the power you need, while helping you to save money and protect the environment. Some of its key features include:
- Amorphous solar charging kit provides up to 15 Watts of clean, free, renewable power
- Amorphous solar panel works in all daylight conditions-even in the shade!
- Amorphous solar panels are created by spraying silicon on to glass in very thin layers, and are commonly known as thin film solar panels. This process allows them to generate electricity in all lighting conditions, including cloudy or shady environments.
- Sunforce amorphous solar panels are weatherproof and suitable for outdoor use.
- The Sunforce 50033 15-Watt Solar Charging Kit has everything you need to start producing up to 15 Watts/125mA of clean, free power in all weather conditions.
- It includes one 15-Watt amorphous solar panel, a 7-Amp solar charge controller, and a wiring kit with accessories for easy installation.
- With built-in blocking diode technology, this solar charging kit is designed to protect against battery discharge at night.
- You can use this kit to maintain the charge on any 12-Volt battery for clean, silent operation of various electronics, such as deer feeders and landscaping pumps.
- It is also a great choice for automobiles, recreational vehicles, tractors, all-terrain vehicles, boats, cabins, electric fences, telemetry, backup power, remote power, and more.
- Made of durable ABS plastic and amorphous solar cells
- Weatherproof, durable solar panels can withstand impacts from hailstones travelling 50 miles-per-hour
- One 15 Watt amorphous solar panel
- 7 Amp solar charge controller
- 12 ft. of wire
- CLA adapter and battery clamps for easy installation
- Good price considering included controller
- Plug and go
- Performance is very good
- Charge controller only for “maintaining” a 12 volt battery
- Controller wires not pre-terminated with connectors
- Construction is basic
12 Volt Battery Charger
Looking for lower wattage and lower price? Check out our article about lower power solar battery chargers Solar Panel Battery Charger: Top 5.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
I would love to get your opinion of this article or hear your solar battery charger story. Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
I hope this article has given you some important information to help you choose your solar 12 volt battery charger.