A 2 bank marine battery charger gives you the convenience of an onboard battery charger that can keep your boat batteries charged and maintained. If you need a 2 bank marine battery charger, you probably have a starting battery and a house battery to keep charged.
A modern 2 bank marine battery charger is a smart onboard boat battery charger capable of using a computer-controlled, multi-phase charging program to charge your battery to the proper level and then maintain your battery indefinitely while your boat is sitting at the dock.
What should you look for in a top-rated boat battery charger?
Power requirements are based on your battery setup including how many batteries you have and how they are used.
Popular setups include:
- Low Output (6 amps or less) Boat owners use a low output charger for maintaining their batteries or for charging a low amp-hour battery.
- Medium Output (9-15 amps) If you only need to charge your batteries infrequently such as just on weekends, medium output might be right for you.
- High Output (15 amps or greater) If you have high amp-hour batteries or you need to recharge frequently and quickly, high output is the way to go.
There is a tendency for boat owners to try and use a single battery charger to take care of all their battery charging needs. They hook up a charger to two or more batteries to keep them charged.
The problem is that a starting battery is not the same as a house battery or a trolling motor battery. Each battery has different charging requirements, both to properly charge them, and to maximize their useful life.
A 2 bank marine battery charger has the capability to charge two batteries of different sizes, types, and charge status by delivering a separate charge program to each battery according to its needs. You can properly charge and maintain both your house battery and starting battery simultaneously.
Interested in other marine-style battery chargers? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Powerbank: Top Rated 3 Bank 50 Amp Dry Mount Marine Battery Charger
- On Board Battery Charger: Most Popular Waterproof 24V Battery Tender
- Onboard Boat Battery Charger: Advanced Onboard Smart 3-Bank Marine Battery Charger
- Dual Pro Battery Charger: Top Rated Dual Pro 3 Bank Onboard Battery Charger
- ProMariner Battery Charger: Top Rated ProMariner 3 Bank Battery Charger
- Solar Boat Battery Charger: Top 5 Best Rated 100 Watt Solar Panel Chargers
- 4 Bank Battery Charger: 3 Top Rated 4-Bank Onboard Battery Chargers
- 3 Bank Battery Charger: Top Rated Budget 3 Bank 20 Amp Charger
- Waterproof Battery Charger: Top Rated 12V Battery Charger Maintainer
- 3 Bank Marine Battery Charger: 5 Top Rated Boat Battery Chargers
- Boat Battery Charger: Best Rated 2-Bank Marine Charger
- Deep Cycle Battery Charger: 5 Top Rated Smart Chargers
- Waterproof Battery Charger: Top Rated 12V Battery Charger Maintainer
- Best Onboard Marine Battery Charger 2-Bank Options
- Marine Battery Charger: Battery Tender 12V Battery Charger
Boats can use a variety of battery types to take care of their power needs. You may have an AGM battery, gel cel, deep cycle, or other types. The important consideration is that each battery type requires a different charging program to properly charge and maintain it. Make sure any marine battery charger you choose is specifically designed to charge your battery types.
The biggest safety risk on any boat is fire. Large boats with enclosed engine and other compartments can accumulate dangerous levels of battery fumes and fuel fumes which can easily spark and cause a fire or explosion. Put the wrong marine onboard battery charger in that space and you could be flirting with disaster.
How do you know if you picked a safe onboard charger? Make sure any boat battery charger you’re considering has an integrated ignition protection feature to prevent sparks and complies with applicable safety specifications.
The best marine battery chargers comply with ISO 8846 and U.S. Coast Guard Title 33 CFR 183.410. Those ignition protection specifications ensure that your device will not ignite a flammable hydrocarbon mixture surrounding the device when an ignition source causes an internal explosion, are not capable of releasing sufficient electrical or thermal energy to ignite a hydrocarbon mixture, or the source of the ignition is hermetically sealed.
Other safety features to look for include protection against overload, over-temperature, reverse polarity, and over-voltage.
Extra Power Sources
Could you use some extra AC outlets while charging? Some multi-bank marine battery chargers provide integrated inverter power to one or more AC outlets.
The marine environment is wet and corrosive. You need a good warranty to ensure you will be able to repair or replace your 2 bank marine battery charger if you discover defects in materials or workmanship. You should expect a reputable manufacturer to provide a minimum 2-Year limited warranty on the onboard battery charger your considering.
We searched retail sites, forums, consumer sites, social media sites, manufacturer sites, and customer review sites to find a popular and highly-rated 2 bank onboard battery charger that has the performance and features we want at a price we can afford.
Take a look at our choice and see if it’s the best boat battery charger for your needs!
Promariner’s mass produces cost-effective, mount-it and forget-it marine battery chargers, that provide boat owners worldwide with a solution for extending and managing battery life without the need to manually handle batteries. Their ProMariner 43012 ProSport 12 12 Amp, 12/24 Volt, 2-Bank Generation 3 Marine Battery Charger is a perfect example of their dedication to delivering high-quality products at reasonable prices. It features Distributed-On-Demand Charging technology, automatic installation feedback, microprocessor and software-controlled pulse charging, 4 charge profiles, and an Energy Saver Mode for automatic battery maintenance. Its design is 40% lighter and runs cooler and more reliably than epoxy-filled chargers of old.
2 Bank Marine Battery Charger: Features
- 12-Amp, 12/24V, 2-bank, microprocessor-controlled, pulse charging marine battery charger
- Distributed-On-Demand Charging Technology takes 100% of available charging amps and distributes them to any one or a combination of all batteries as needed for faster, more reliable charging.
- Microprocessor and software-controlled pulse charging technology
- 100% waterproof and shockproof design
- 40% lighter, cooler running, and more reliable than older technology, epoxy-filled chargers
- 4 digitally selectable charge profiles including a once-per-month storage reconditioning mode to extend battery life
- Energy Saver Mode monitors and automatically maintains batteries only as required to achieve a full charge state
- ProSport automatically reconditions all batteries on board once-per-month for maximum battery life and performance during short or long-term storage
- Automatically charges and maintains your engine’s starting battery while distributing all remaining charging amps to trolling motor or house batteries
- LED indicators for Charging, Conditioning and Auto Maintain modes in addition to AC power and selected battery type
- Compact, lightweight, and rugged extruded aluminum design
- Safety features include dual, in-line DC safety fuses for trolling motor and house battery banks and built-in protection against over-voltage, overload, over-temperature, reverse polarity, and ignition protection
- Pre-wired for easy installation
- Dimensions are 9.8L x 7.25W x 2.75D inches and weighs 4 lbs.
- 2-Year limited warranty
- Fast battery charging performance
- Value priced
- Auto-switching is an excellent feature
- Easy to install
2 Bank Marine Battery Charger
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this budget marine battery charger? Which 2 bank battery charger are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
An onboard battery charger is a convenient and reliable way to keep your boat batteries charged and ready to go. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best 2 bank marine battery charger for your needs!