If you need a 4 bank battery charger, you have a pretty serious battery setup that probably includes a house battery, a starting battery, a trolling motor battery, and one more battery. A 4 bank battery charger can save you a lot of time and frustration over rotating a one or two bank battery charger among the four batteries.
You’re also being smart because choosing a 4 bank battery charger over rotating, or attempting to charge multiple batteries simultaneously with a single charger, allows you to apply all the benefits of a modern charger maintainer to each battery according to its own needs. This is likely to prolong the life of each battery and save you money in the long run.
Today’s on-board multiple-bank chargers are smart chargers with built-in microprocessors to control their multi-phase charging and maintenance processes that may include desulfation and recover functions that can deliver better battery performance and longer battery life.
They are also likely to allow you to maintain all of your batteries through the off-season unattended automatically so that your boat is ready when you are in the Spring.
What should you look for in a 4 bank battery charger?
How much power do you need? The output of you need from a 4 bank battery charger is closely related to the application of each battery. Here’s a quick guide to amperage output for some applications:
- Low Output – (6 amps or below) A low output charger may be applicable for maintenance use or any low amp hour battery application.
- Medium Output – (9 – 15 amps) A medium output charger would be applicable for medium use or occasional use perhaps only on weekends for a trolling motor.
- High Output – (15 amps or above) 1) A high output charger would be used in high amp hour battery applications (150 Ah for example), or any situation where repeated rapid recharging is required.
Be careful when choosing the amperage output of a 4 bank battery charger based on its description. Vendors and manufacturers usually publish amperage in two ways. One way is to publish the total amps by multiplying the output of each bank by four. So they might publish the output as 40 Amps, but what they are really telling you is that the charger produces 10 Amps output for each bank. The other way and more useful is to publish the output per bank.
Interested in other marine-style battery chargers? Be sure and see our other articles about some of the best!
- 3 Bank Marine Battery Charger: 5 Top Rated Boat Battery Chargers
- Boat Battery Charger: Best Rated 2-Bank Marine Charger
- Deep Cycle Battery Charger: 5 Top Rated Smart Chargers
- Waterproof Battery Charger: Top Rated 12V Battery Charger Maintainer
- Best Onboard Marine Battery Charger 2-Bank Options
- Marine Battery Charger: Battery Tender 12V Battery Charger
A common quick calculation to determine how much amperage output you need is to determine the amp-hour rating of each battery and add them together. Then multiply that number by 10% to get the amperage needed. So in the case of four 105 amp-hour batteries, you would need approximately 10% of 420 amp-hours or 42 amps or about 10 amps per bank.
Most marine systems are based on 12V or 24V batteries. Make sure the 4 bank battery charger you choose can handle your boat’s battery voltages.
Marine batteries serve various purposes on-board your boat ranging from starting to providing electricity for all the primary systems. You are likely to encounter deep cycle, gel cel, or AGM batteries in a marine environment. Gel cel batteries require a special charging profile that can only be provided by battery chargers specifically designed to charge Gel cel batteries. Battery chargers that charge AGM or deep cycle batteries alone are not equipped to properly charge Gel cel batteries. Make sure you choose a 4 bank battery charger that can handle all the battery types you have.
Most modern marine 4 bank chargers have integrated microprocessors that run intelligent programs that can charge and maintain your batteries unattended without overcharging or damaging your batteries, charger or boat systems. Many include built-in safety features that protect against reverse polarity and have the ability to monitor battery charging status, battery state, and adjust charger output to match the needs of each individual battery.
Harsh Marine Environment
The marine environment is one filled with moisture including direct spray and humidity. Even though your charger might not be exposed to direct spray, any 4 bank battery charger that you’re considering should be fully sealed, waterproof, and capable of withstanding the harsh marine environment. Depending on where you’re planning to mount the charger, it could be subjected to everything from salt spray to even heavier splashes of sea or fresh water. In any case you can count on an unrelenting attack by corrosion.
Almost always, when a battery charger is characterized as an on-board model, it will come with the ability to be mounted and include associated hardware. Mounting your 4 bank battery charger will result in a neater installation that reduces the risk of damage to the battery charger or its cabling. It’s worth mentioning that it might not always be the case, so it’s worthwhile to check if you are considering mounting your 4 bank battery charger on a bulkhead.
Boats that incorporate enclosed engine compartments can accumulate fumes from both batteries and fuel and if not properly ventilated pose a possible fire and explosion risk. Any 4 bank battery charger you choose should comply with ISO 8846 and U.S. Coast Guard Title 33 CFR 183.410 ignition protection specifications which says that compliant devices:
- will not ignite a flammable hydrocarbon mixture surrounding the device when and ignition source causes an internal explosion
- are not capable of releasing sufficient electrical or thermal energy to ignite a hydrocarbon mixture
- or the source of the ignition is hermetically sealed.
Also look for other safety features including protection against over-voltage, overload, over-temperature, and reverse polarity.
Some models of 4 bank battery chargers have integrated AC outlets to support additional onboard AC devices near the charger. If that’s a capability you need, check for that feature.
Everything else being equal, a good warranty can be the tiebreaker. Given the harsh environments that marine battery chargers endure the risk of failure is real. Manufacturers that provide a long warranty are telling you that they have faith in their materials and workmanship. You should look for models with at least a 2-Year limited warranty.
We searched the boating forums, customer review sites, social media, retail sites, consumer sites, and manufacturer sites to find the most popular and highly rated 4 bank battery chargers.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these chargers is the best 4 bank battery charger for your needs!
Minn Kota Precision Chargers like their Minn Kota MK440PC 4-Bank 10 Amps Per Bank Precision Digital Charger are half the weight of traditional on-board marine battery chargers and feature battery selection by bank that allows you to select a different battery type for each bank insuring a safe and protected charge tailored to each battery. Its rugged, durable design protects the unit with a heavy-duty aluminum housing and the chargers are also fully tested to prevent corrosion in either freshwater or saltwater. Its microprocessor-based design enables the charger to continually monitor the temperature and state of charge for faster, more regulated, precise battery charging. Low-Line Voltage Compensation and Automatic Temperature Compensation adjust charging voltage automatically to insure a safe, fast, and consistent charge under all conditions. Here’s what you need to know.
4 Bank Battery Charger Features
- 4-bank, 10 amps per bank, digital, microprocessor-controlled, on board battery charger for use with 12, 24, 36, 48-volt systems with 12V/6 cell batteries that are flooded lead-acid, maintenance-free, starved electrolyte (AGM/HP AG) or gel only
- Microprocessor-based design enables the charger to continually monitor the temperature and state of charge for faster, more regulated, precise battery charging
- Rugged, durable aluminum construction charger is waterproof, shock-resistant, vibration-resistant, and saltwater-tested to fully combat corrosion
- Battery selection by bank allows you to select a different battery type (AGM, Gel, Flooded Lead-Acid) for each bank insuring a safe and protected charge tailored to each battery without over- or under-charging
- Half the weight of a traditional on-board 4 bank marine battery charger
- Intuitive LED display for each bank that provides independent readout of connection status, power status, percent charged, and selected battery type
- Low-Line Voltage Compensation adjusts automatically for any drop in voltage input which can be caused by an overloaded outlet or a long extension cord insuring a fast consistent charge under all conditions
- Automatic Temperature Compensation senses ambient temperature and adjusts automatically for temperature fluctuations preventing over- or under-charging
- Safety features included protection against short circuit, reverse polarity, and arc and ignition
- FCC compliant and designed to UL 1236 standard
- 3-Year replacement warranty
- Measures 9.15 x 8.25 x 2.98 inches and weighs in at 10 lbs.
A popular accessory for the Minn Kota MK440PC 4-Bank 10 Amps Per Bank Precision Digital Charger is the MinnKota AC Power Port that installs without cutting or splicing and features a watertight cover and gasket.
#2 – Pro Charging Systems PS4 15 Amps Per Bank Professional Series Marine Quad Pro Four Battery Charger
Pro Charging Systems Professional Series chargers, like their Pro Charging Systems PS4 15 Amps Per Bank Professional Series Marine Quad Pro Four Battery Charger, have set the standard in the marine industry for more than a decade. They are known as the safest, most reliable, and best performing battery chargers in the industry. Popular among fishermen and recreational boaters alike Pro Charging Systems keep boaters on the water longer while extending the life of their batteries. Quad Pro charging technology in the PS4 has been and continues to be the choice of over 50 boat manufacturers and professional fishermen on the B.A.S.S. and FLW tournament circuit. Here’s what you need to know.
- 4-bank, 15 amps per bank, on-board battery charger with independent outputs for wet cell and AGM batteries
- Environmentally-friendly design is totally repairable preventing unnecessary waste from disposal
- Designed for use on land, in freshwater, or saltwater applications including inland watercraft, saltwater craft, motorcycles, golf carts, utility vehicles, RVs, and more
- Battery Charging System Designed for Use On Land and in Fresh and Salt Water
- Dependable, rugged, totally waterproof construction
- Models also available for Gel cel batteries
- DeltaVolt® Intuitive Charging Technology provides Quick Logic advanced microprocessor-controlled, fully-automatic multi-stage charging
- Safety features include Zero-Spark Technology and protection against reverse polarity
- Battery maintenance mode
- On-board diagnostic codes
- Temperature-compensated charging
- LED indicator lights display state of charge
- No installation restrictions means more flexibility in placement of the charger
- FCC Parts A & B interference compliant, approved and meets ISO 8846 marine standards, and is ignition protection compliant with U.S. Coast Guard 33 CFR 183.410
- Measures 7.25H x 8.25W x 15.78L inches and weighs 29.80 lbs.
Part of the popular on-board charger lineup from NOCO Genius, the NOCO Genius GEN4 4-Bank 10 Amps Per Bank Waterproof Smart On-Board Battery Charger features the intelligent NOCO VosFX processor that is capable of monitoring, diagnosing, recovering, charging, and maintaining wet, Gel, MF, and AGM batteries. This rugged, lightweight, compact, fully-sealed, waterproof, high-frequency, high-efficiency battery charger uses Rapid Charging Technology to charge 2X faster than traditional linear battery chargers. Safety features include spark-proof technology, reverse polarity protection, protection against short-circuit, open-circuit, overheating, overcurrent, overcharge, and automatically shuts off if charger remains in bulk charge mode for an extended period. Here’s what you need to know.
- 4-bank, 10 amps per bank, on-board, battery charger suitable for starter and deep-cycle wet cel (flooded), Gel cel, calcium, enhanced flooded batteries, or any maintenance-free batteries up to 230Ah
- Rapid Charging Technology charges 2X faster than traditional battery chargers
- Durable, rugged, lightweight, compact, 100% fully-sealed, shock and vibration-resistant, waterproof charger is rated at a fully-submersible IP68 and is saltwater tested to combat corrosion
- Mount directly onto a variety of applications including boats, tractors and a wide range of equipment
- Automatically adjusts itself to changing current needs
- Built-in battery desulfator detects sulfation and applies a high-voltage low-current pulse charge causing battery sulfation to convert back to the active material, regaining lost battery capacity
- Stabilizes the internal battery chemistry for increased battery performance and longevity by optimizing the batteries internal specific gravity
- Integrated microprocessor dynamically alters the charging process based on organic battery feedback allowing for precision battery charging
- Maintenance Plus Mode actively monitors and manages charge cycles and provides a finishing charge every 24 hours to keep batteries fully charged without overcharging or damaging the charger, battery, or vehicle
- High-frequency, high-efficiency design makes this charger compact and lightweight
- Adapts to varying A/C input voltages automatically to deliver 100% full charge every time
- Safety features include spark-proof technology, reverse polarity protection, protection against short-circuit, open-circuit, overheating, overcurrent, overcharge, and automatically shuts off if charger remains in bulk charge mode for an extended period
- Automatically shuts off if charger remains in bulk charge mode for an extended period of time
- Meets ISO 8846 marine standards and ignition protected (US Coast Guard 33 CFR 183.410)
- 6.3-foot charging cables and 6-foot AC power cord
- Weighs 15.6 lbs.
- 5-Year limited warranty
A popular accessory for the NOCO Genius GEN4 4-Bank 10 Amps Per Bank Waterproof Smart On-Board Battery Charger is the NOCO Genius GCP1 Black 13 Amp 125V AC Port Plug which features easy installation, an integrated 16-inch extension cable, a watertight seal, snap-fit cap, and full-sized AC prongs for maximum conductivity.
4 Bank Battery Charger Comparison
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these 4-bank chargers? Which battery charger are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our CarBatteryChargersCentral.com 4 Bank Battery Charger article! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the right 4 bank battery charger for your needs!