If you’re looking for an automatic battery charger, you need to ask yourself a question. Do you really want an automatic battery charger or are you looking for a battery maintainer?
The difference between an automatic battery maintainer and an automatic battery charger is the power they possess to charge your battery. A battery maintainer usually only has a few Amps of power and is really designed to maintain your vehicle’s battery while it is not being used for extended periods. A battery charger usually has 10 amps or more of power and is designed to charge your vehicle’s battery in a brief time from a low capacity state.
Interested in learning about other automatic battery chargers? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Charger Maintainer: Best Charging Battery Tending Start Assist Flexibility
- 12V Charger: Top Rated Schumacher Manual Bench Charger with Engine Start
- Vehicle Battery Charger: How to Choose a Car Battery Charger
- 12V Car Battery Charger: Battery Jump Starter or Car Battery Charger?
- Battery Desulfator Charger: Top Rated Desulfator Battery Charger
- Best Car Battery Charger: Best 12V Vehicle Charger
- RV Battery Charger: Top Rated RV Power Converter Charger Series
- Auto Battery Chargers: Top 10 Best Rated Car Battery Chargers
- Battery Charger for Car: Top 7 Best Rated Car Battery Chargers
- How to Charge a 12V Battery: Important Battery Tender Maintenance
- Battery Maintainer: Powerful High-Tech Battery Tender Charger
- Deep Cycle Battery Charger: 5 Top Rated Smart Chargers
- Auto Battery Charger: Best Next Gen Car Battery Charger
- Battery Tender Plus: Best Car Battery Tender
This article is about a powerful bench charger with 25-amps of power to quickly charge your vehicle’s battery while also having battery maintenance ability to keep your battery fully charger automatically when not in use.
What should you look for in an automatic battery charger?
If you need to charge batteries quickly you will need more power. Of course, how much power you can bring to bear on a battery also depends on its ability to accept the charge. A typical car battery will range in power from 45 – 70 amp-hours. That means that the battery can provide 20 hours of power at an amp rating equal to the amp-hours divided by 20. So, for a 70 amp-hour battery, it is rated to deliver approximately 3.5 amps of power for 20 hours.
You should charge that battery at approximately 20% of its capacity or for a 70 amp-hour you could use a 12-Amp or 15-Amp charger safely.
The beauty of getting a fully automatic charger is its ability to detect your battery’s needs and provide the proper charging amperage. No need to manually enter battery type or size.
There are still manual battery chargers out there and for professionals, it might make sense. For the average vehicle owner, a fully automatic battery charger is a must. The biggest reason is safety and cost savings. Hooking your battery up to a 15-amp manual charger and walking away is a recipe for disaster. At best, if you forget to monitor the charger, the charger will damage your battery. At worst, it could cause the battery to explode, start a fire, or damage your vehicle.
An automatic charger starts charging in a fast mode with the most amperage to charge your battery safely and as quickly as possible. Then it switches to top-off mode where it brings your battery slowly up to its maximum capacity. Finally, it switches to maintenance mode where it keeps your battery at full capacity for an extended period without manual intervention.
So why would you want a 25-amp charger? There are larger batteries out there for RVs, large trucks, and other utility vehicles that can accept a 25 amp-hour charging rate. Having a powerful charger gives you the ability to charge a variety of vehicle batteries of diverse types.
We searched battery forums, manufacturer sites, retail sites, social media, customer review sites, and consumer sites to find the most popular and highly rated fully automatic battery chargers.
Take a look at our choice and see if this STANLEY 12V battery charger is the best battery charger for your needs!
The STANLEY BC25BS 25-Amp Bench Battery Charger with 75 Amp Engine Start and Alternator Check is a fully automatic battery charger with additional features that make it a go-to 12V battery charger for a variety of applications. It eliminates the need to manually input settings like battery type and size by automatically selecting charge rate to maximize battery life. It can charge and maintain any AGM, GEL, or WET automotive or marine 12V battery. Its high-frequency charging capability charges up to 40% faster than traditional battery chargers for the same battery capacity. It’s 3-Stage charging automatically switches from fast charge mode to top-off mode, to trickle charge mode without manual intervention. It also has a built-in 75-Amp engine start mode which can help you start your vehicle in about 90 seconds. Handy features include a built-in cord and cable wrap and clamp storage. Safety features include an on-screen reverse polarity warning. This connect-and-forget bench battery charger is ideal for motorhomes, boats, jet skis, lawn tractors, ATVs, snowmobiles, and vehicles that sit idle for months at a time.
Automatic Battery Charger: Features
- 25-Amp fully automatic battery charger and maintainer with a 75-Amp engine start capability and alternator testing capability
- Charges and maintains any AGM, WET, or GEL automotive or marine 12V battery
- Fully automatic high-frequency charging is more efficient and faster
- 3-Stage charging, automatically switching from fast charge, to top-off, to trickle charge
- 75-Amp engine start capability can start your vehicle in about 90 seconds
- A patented alternator check evaluates the battery voltage under load to indicate if the alternator is maintaining battery level
- Charge and maintain any AGM, GEL, or WET automotive or marine 12V battery.
- A digital LCD screen displays charging status and battery status with easy to understand icons
- On-screen reverse polarity warning
- 100 percent CEC compliant and ETL Certified for performance and safety
- Integrated battery reconditioning technology can help reverse sulfate build-up on battery plates to improve charging carrying capability and extend battery life
- 1-Year limited warranty
- Solid construction and quality materials
- Strong alligator clips
- Very effective battery reconditioning feature
- Engine start capability can be a lifesaver
- Could use longer cables and cord
Automatic Battery Charger
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this bench charger? Which battery charger are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
If you’re looking for an automatic battery charger that is more than just a trickle charger and has the power to charge a battery fast, you need a bench charger. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best automatic battery charger for your needs!