The changeover from lead-acid to lithium jump starters has been anything but gradual. Once people realized the benefits and features of a lithium battery booster jump starter pack, they not only bought them but quickly left both lead-acid and jumper cables behind. They have truly become one of the must-have auto accessories.
The advantages of a lithium battery booster jump starter pack are many. First, they are much lighter, safer, and more compact. That means for the first time; they are handy for everyone in your household including wives and teenagers, not just the guy of the house. While the amateur auto enthusiast may have been okay with how to safely use a lead-acid jump starter or a set of jumper cables, few normal drivers were as confident.
Now anyone can safely use a lithium battery booster jump starter pack to start their car, easily, safely, and with little of the hassle once associated with booster cables or lead-acid car jump starters.
One of the big problems with a lead-acid car battery jump starter is its size and weight. They are really just auxiliary lead-acid 12V batteries nicely packaged for storage in your car. That means they’re heavy and bulky. Finding a place to store them in your car can be a daunting task.
They also lose their charge faster than lithium. That means that you need to recharge them more often by taking them out of your car and hooking them up to power in your home or garage. Also, you don’t get as many starts from a lead-acid battery jumper before you need to recharge them.
Be sure and take a look at our other great articles about the best compact lithium jump starters:
- Car Jump Starters: Top Rated Compact Brand
- Lithium Jump Starter: Best New Battery Booster Brand
- Heavy Duty Jump Starter: Top 4 Compact Boosters
- Battery Booster Pack: New Schumacher Battery Jump Starter
- Back To College Safety: Top Emergency Car Accessory
- Car Starter: Top 7 Compact Battery Jump Starters
- Jumpstarter: Best Portable Jump Starter Power Supply
- Car Battery Jump Starter: Best Compact Battery Booster
Along with lithium boosters has also come technology to make boosters safer than ever before. Many come with spark-proof connections and protection from reverse polarity, short circuits, open circuits, overcharging, over-current, overload, and over-voltage. In other words, it’s much easier to safely restart your car.
Some additional features that are often included are LED warning lights with SOS feature, strobe lights, flashlights, and auxiliary air pumps.
They aren’t perfect of course as many, if not most, are made in China which can mean lower quality, questionable warranties, and poor or non-existent support. They also don’t have the cranking amps that a lead-acid battery booster typically has. That doesn’t mean it won’t start your vehicle. It’s just more difficult to determine if it has the power to start your specific vehicle. The good news is that most of the lithium jump starters work just fine and will start most vehicles. If you’re unsure, you can opt for a heavy-duty model that’s rated to start V8 and diesel engines.
One of the big problems with lead-acid boosters is connecting them under the hood. They are bulky and heavy and it can be difficult for most people to find a safe place to rest the jump starter while it’s connected and you go to restart your vehicle. Lithium boosters are so compact and lightweight that it’s usually fairly easy to find a place to rest them while connected.
Lithium jumpers also have typically very short leads. Whether by design or not, most folks would like them to be longer just to have more flexibility in placement of the booster while jump starting. Lead-acid models will usually have longer leads, but may need them because of their weight and bulkiness.
However you feel about lead-acid battery boosters, they are likely the dinosaurs of battery jump starters. Lithium has taken over the personal vehicle market and will continue to grow in popularity. Lead-acid may be relegated to a more professional environment such as garages and home shops where portability or in-vehicle storage is not a priority. Lead-acid models also appear to be more durable which also lends itself to the most challenging environment of a garage or shop.
It seems that new models of lithium battery boosters are being released each week, and it’s hard to keep up with the newest technology. We decided to take a look at what’s out there, give you a look at 10 new models that have come out in the past few months, and let you compare them to those that have been around for a while…the last year or so.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these lightweight, compact battery jump starters is the perfect new model for your needs!
You probably haven’t heard of Collreall, but they recently introduced a mini car jump starter known as the Collreall Box 21 12,000 mAh Mini Car Jump Starter Power Bank that is a combination of a 400 peak amp jump starter and a 12,000 mAh battery pack. Like a lot of boosters designed for this market, it’s selling point is its small size. It has 400 peak amps and 300 starting amps of power so it should be good to jumpstart the average car with a 4 or 6 cylinder gas engine easily, but probably not a V8 or Diesel. It comes with a very nice case that can be tucked just about anywhere you have a little space in your car and it gives you about 10 jumps on a single charge. Here’s what you need to know.
Battery Booster Jump Starter Pack: Features
- 400 peak and 300 starting amps of power to assist your 12V battery
- 12,000 mAh power bank
- Compact size
- 4-mode ultra-bright LED functions as a flashlight, strobe light, roadside emergency warning signal (flashing red and yellow)
- About 10 jumps on a single charge
- Protection against reverse polarity, short circuits, and overcurrent
- Charging ports include 5V/2.1A, 19V/3.5A, 16V/3.5A, and 12V/3.5A
- 4.5 hour time to recharge
- 1-Year replacement warranty
- Nice zippered case for storage and organization
- Built-in lights are very bright and useful
- Very easy to use for anyone
- Compact and easy to store in your car
- Power button is too easy to push accidentally and change voltages
- Not for Apple Mac laptops
- Non-standard charging ports
The DBPOWER DJS30 600A Peak 16,500 mAh Portable Car Jump Starter and Power Pack is a recent uupgradeof a popular model. It has 600 peak amps of power, but we can’t find a specification on the starting power so it would be difficult to determine how big an engine this model is rated for. It claims to be able to start an engine up to 30 times on a single charge which is more than most of these compact lithium jumpers. Its separate output selector switch is an improvement over those with a switchable power button due to reduced mistakes. DBPOWER claims that this model is compatible with a 6L gas or 3L diesel engines. Here’s what you need to know.
- Like most lithium jump starters, this model is lightweight and compact enough to fit in a glovebox or door pocket
- Starts your car up to 30 times on a single charge
- 16,500 mAh capacity power bank charges at rates up to 2.1 amps per port
- Jump starter recharges in approximately 5 hours
- Safety features include protection against over current, short circuit, overload, over-voltage, and over charge
- Built-in 3-mode LED light has high mode, strobe mode, and SOS mode
- Manual selector switch lets you choose between 12V, 16V, and 19V power and is confirmed with a blue LED
- Power bank is capable of charging mobile phones, laptops, tablets, or most anything with a USB port
- Comes with 8-in-1 laptop adapters
- Built-in rubber feet grip surfaces to provide a solid base while jump starting or charging
- It comes with a high-quality semi-hard, zippered case that has a wrist carrying strap and easily organizes and stores the jump starter plus accessories
- Included are a 12V wall and 12V car charger
- It’s unique in its 3-year warranty and DBPOWER claims easy-to-reach support
- Very easy to use even for those automotive-challenged
- Compact and lightweight design
- Quality construction and materials
- Great safety features
- Need to consult manual to properly operate lights
- Beware the reviews…it looks like many, many of the units were given to reviewers in exchange for their “unbiased” review
This may be the Swiss army knife of jump starters because the HyperPS 20,000 mAh Multi-Function Vehicle Car Jump Starter and Portable Power Bank has so many extra useful features. You get a powerful 20,000 mAh power bank, a capable jump starter, a built-in emergency tool with window hammer and seatbelt cutter, and a 150 psi air compressor. That is more tools than any other jump starter we’ve reviewed. The unit still comes in at a reasonable price as low as any of the models we’ve reviewed with that much battery power. The only thing we would caution about is the 200A starting current which is very low for this unit. We don’t know if that means it won’t start larger engines so it would be best to contact the manufacturer to make sure it will start your vehicle. Here’s what you need to know.
- Compact lithium jump starter with good 600 peak amps but with smaller than usual 200A starting current
- Very large 20,000 mAh battery capacity should allow you to charge several devices before having to recharge and supports fast charging, low self-discharge, and cycle discharge with a charge cycle count up to 1000 times
- Built-in survival hammer for breaking windows and seatbelt cutter
- 150 psi air compressor has a brass-tipped nozzle and can be used for inflating car tires, sports equipment, bicycle tires, and other inflating tasks
- Built-in LED light has 3 lighting modes including high power and fast strobe
- 4 outputs include 5V/2A, 12V/2A, 16V/3.5A, and 19V/3.5A
- Comes with kit of 8 mobile phone connectors
- Complete with AC wall charger and hard carrying case
- Excellent customer service
- High quality construction, materials, and accessories
- Very compact and lightweight
- Lots of emergency features
- Low 200A starting current
- No published specs on engine sizes this unit is capable of jump starting
Another compact jump starter than includes an air compressor, the InteliCharge Multi-Function Car Portable Jump Starter, Power Bank Portable Battery, and Air Compressor has a lower 13,600 mAh battery and a low 200A start current and a low 400 peak amps. Other than the air compressor, there is nothing special that sets this unit apart from others and the price is on the high side it seems, even with the air compressor. When you buy a car starter, other features are really nice to haves. What you need is a reliable booster that will start your car when the battery is too low. The manufacturer claims that this unit will start gas engines under 5.0L and diesels under 3.0L. Here’s what you need to now.
- 400 peak amp and 200A start current battery jump starter with a 2000X cycle life
- 4-in-1 mobile power station and 7-in-1 laptop charger with 13,600 mAh of power and a built-in 5V/2A USB output
- LED emergency light has 3 modes including high power, strobe, and SOS and can last up to 120 hours in an emergency
- Included air compressor plugs in to the power bank and comes with 2 nozzles a pressure guage and can be used to inflate car tires, sporting goods, bicycle tires, and for other inflation tasks
- Nice design and quality materials
- Lightweight and compact
- Lower storage power for power bank than many jump starters
- No Apple support except through USB port
- Low jump start current
What stands out about the BESTEK 600A Peak Car Jump Starter and Power Bank is its green color. It has a rugged-looking design that looks good in green. Other than that, it has a lower than average 10,000 mAh power bank and an unspecified starting current. It claims to be able to start up to a 5L gas or 3L diesel engine, but many claim that. To be safe, you should contact the manufacturer or vendor to confirm its capability. Like many of the newer lithium battery boosters, this model can jump start your car up to 20 times without recharging which is about average, but it does come with 2 USB charging ports which is one more than most. It also boasts Smart IC technology which automatically identifies an attached device to deliver its specific fastest charge speed up to 2.4 amps per port. One thing we don’t like about this model is that it claims that you have to be certain about your jump start connections because reverse polarity protection is disabled. This is not the case for most lithium jump starters where reverse polarity protection is an important safety feature. Here’s what you need to know.
- 600 Peak Amp portable jump starter capable of starting up to 5L gas or 3L diesel engine vehicles 20 times before needing recharging
- 10,000 mAh portable battery pack with dual-powered USB charging ports and Smart IC technology that automatically identifies the needs of attached devices to provide the fastest possible charge for a specific device up to 2.4 amps per port or 4.2 amps total
- 2 USB charging ports
- Ultra-compact, rugged design case stores easily in any vehicle
- Protection against short circuits
- Built-in emergency flashlight
- 4 LED lights for monitoring batterh level
- Comes with wall charger and car charger
- Quick 3-hour recharging using a wall charger or car charger
- Nice carrying case
- Two USB power ports is unusual for the price
- More rugged design than many out there
- Easy to use
- Does not have reverse polarity protection
- Poor quality plastic alligator clamps
Energette is another brand you may not recognize, but the Energette PowerFull B18 16,800 mAh Jump Starter and Power Bank is a solid performer with some great standard features. It has a peak current of 600 amps, but no indication of its starting current. It can start a vehicle up to 20 times without recharging and is rated by the manufacturer to be capable of jump starting up to a 4.5L gas or 3.5L diesel which is somewhat higher than most on our list. It also has an additional USB port for a total of two which is a nice feature when you have multiple devices to charge. With a full 16,800 mAh battery, you can be sure of multiple recharges of your portable electric devices without recharging the power bank. It’s pricier than some, but an air compressor is included. Here’s what you need to know.
- 600 peak amp car jump starter with a cycle life of 3000 starts
- Large 16,800 mAh capacity battery means more jump starts and more charges without recharging the unit
- Fast recharge of only 2.5 to 3 hours using the included wall or car charger
- Several safety features including protection from short-circuit, overload, over-voltage, over-current, and over-charge
- Emergency glass-breaker and seatbelt cutter are built-in
- Built-in key switch toggles between available voltages or 12V/16V/19V
- Comes with a portable air compressor that can inflate car tires, sporting equipment, bicycle tires or other inflation tasks
- Built-in super-bright torch flashlight also has a strobe setting for emergencies and can keep lighting your way for up to 40 hours
- Additional emergency LEDs blink blue and red for emergency warning
- Built-in dual-USB with 12V/16V/19V DC output and
- Long 20 month customer satisfaction guarantee
The BESTEK Ultra-Slim Multi-Functional 400A Peak Current Car Jump Starter Power Bank is unique in its size and price. It is one of the slimmest if not the slimmest vehicle jump starter we’ve seen. It’s price has also fallen below $50 which is very inexpensive for a battery booster. It’s true that it only has 400 peak amps and 5,600 mAh of power, but if your focus is jump starting more than recharging your devices, then that shouldn’t be a problem. It is also only rated to jump start a 2L or 3L or less gas engine approximately 16x before needing recharging and that is the lowest capability in our list. It doesn’t come with a lot of extra features due to its size. Here’s what you need to know.
- Ultra-slim design is super compact and lightweight and is available in Red or Black
- 400 peak amp jump starter rated to jump start 2L or 3L or lower gas engines approximately 16x before needing a recharge and has a cycle life of around 700+ jump starts
- Low 5,600 mAh power bank is lower than most
- Built-in advanced safety protects against short circuit and current surge
- Single USB produces 5V/2.1A for portable electronic device charging
- Long 18-month warranty
- Stores anywhere
- Durable brushed-aluminum body
- Great value
- Small capacity
- Designed only for smaller vehicles
- No emergency lights
- No carrying case
Anker is a popular manufacturer of both jump starters and portable power banks, so it’s only natural that they would have models like the Anker PowerCore Jump Starter 600 and Power Bank that combine the two functions. In addition to a 600 peak amp jump starter the power bank is rated at 15,000 mAh which should be plenty for multiple recharges of your portable electronic devices or multiple vehicle boosts. It has a fairly long 5.5 hour recharge time and it’s a little on the pricey side, but it’s safety features are many and include protection against surges and short circuits in addition to having an alarm that warns of incorrect setup. Here’s what you need to know.
- 600 peak amp jump starter capable of jump starting up to 5L gas and 3L diesel engines up to 20x before needing recharging
- Built-in flashlight
- 15,000 mAh power bank with adaptive PowerIQ fast-charging technology capable of tailoring charge to specific devices to improve charge speeds up to 2.1 amps per port or 4.2 amps total
- Long 5.5 hour recharge time using the wall charger or car charger
- Safety features include protection against short circuit, current surge, reverse polarity, overload, and includes an incorrect setup alarm
- 18 month warranty
- Quality construction and materials
- Easy to hold and use
- LCD screen is a nice touch
- Clear instructions
- Light sometimes won’t go green on cables
- Cheap plastic alligator clamps
- Some reports of faulty cable box
Battery Booster Jump Starter Pack
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these new lithium jump starters? Which compact jump starter are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our CarBatteryChargersCentral.com post! We sincerely hope that it has given you valuable information that helps you choose the best battery booster jump starter pack for your needs!