If you have vehicle batteries, you need a battery tester. If you have multiple types of vehicles like ATVs, cars, trucks, or marine power sports with multiple types of batteries, then you need a multi-battery tester. The future is digital and so all of the battery testers in our list are digital. Buying a good battery tester is easy but buying a good multi-battery tester can be more complicated.
A lot of what you need to know depends on your intended use for the battery tester. Do you own a vehicle repair shop, have several vehicles with different battery types, or have a lot of friends with different battery types? If that’s your situation, you should get a model with the broadest coverage of battery chemistries and types. If you just have one vehicle to test, then you probably don’t need a multi-battery tester. A simple car battery tester will probably do.
We checked automotive forums, review sites, manufacturer sites, and retail sites to find multi-battery testers that make the grade and we think we found 7 of the best rated out there. They range from the expensive to easier on the budget and we’re sure that one of them is right for your needs. Take a look at our list and see if you agree!
Some great features of the Auto Meter SB-300 Intelligent Handheld Battery Tester include its ability to simulate a true 40 amp load using its patented Digital Pulse Load technology for more accurate testing, its fast complete testing, and it ability to provide test results output to infrared printers. In addition to testing the battery is will also test the vehicles starting and charging systems and all in less than 2 minutes. Its coverage includes all lead acid battery types including AGM with a battery CCA range of 100-1600. Here’s what you need to know.
Battery Tester: Features
- Safely and accurately tests all lead acid battery types including AGM batteries
- 100-1600 CCA battery range
- Tests partially discharged batteries
- Reverse polarity protection
- Capable of detecting bad cells and “near end of life status” of batteries, preventing unnecessary comebacks
- Automatically stores results of last 100 tests conducted
- Capable of exporting test data wirelessly via an infrared PR-12 printer, or using the add-on PR-20 printer
- Rugged composite housing and rubberized case
- 16 gauge, 30” leads with professional grade clamps that are easily field serviceable
- English, Spanish, and French language options
- Operational Temperature 0-120ºF
- Dimensions are 4.5 x 7.1 x 1.4 inches and it weighs in at only 1.3 lbs.
- Capable of testing both 6 and 12-volt battery systems
- Very user-friendly operation
- Rugged design
- Commercial-grade construction
- Great output options for the pros
- None noted
The ATD Tools 5490 12V Electronic Battery and Electrical System Tester features automatic battery size selection so the user can’t make a mistake selecting the battery and the unit can test batteries of unknown size. Its multi-color bar graph quickly displays battery condition including bad cells and provides feedback on both the starting and charging systems of your vehicle. Its conductance technology means safe and reliable testing of any 12-volt system. Here’s what you need to know.
- Automatic battery size selection eliminates tester input errors and allows for testing of batteries of unknown size without the need for conversion tables
- Provides accurate test reading on batteries as low as 5% state of charge
- Conductance technology for safe and reliable testing of all 12 volt systems
- Multi-colored bar graph displays battery condition in an easier to read manner and immediately displays condition when the TEST button is pressed
- Tests both flooded lead acid and AGM batteries
- Comfortable grip and easy-to-use clamps
- Reverse polarity protection
- Battery Test Range (Auto/Truck): >390 to 1,400 CCA, (Small Auto): 100 to 390 CCA
- DC Voltage Range: 8V to 19.9V
- Made in the USA
- Dimensions are 7.5L x 3W x 1H inches and it weighs in at only 0.75 lbs.
OTC makes a number of testers and the OTC 3183 is one of their highly rated models due to its coverage of 12-volt battery types, the built-in voltmeter that allows easy starting and charging system testing, and its wide range of tests. It tests 12 volt batteries from 125-1400 CCAs measures multiple parameters within each battery to give the most accurate results. Conductance testing insures reliable results without at a reasonable cost. Here’s what you need to know.
- Tests and analyzes 12 volt batteries (125-1400 CCAs) using multiple battery parameters for more accurate results
- Built-in live voltmeter means easy starting and charging system testing
- Bright 4-digit LED displays battery’s status, voltage and available CCAs
- Automatic cold-temperature and low-charge compensation
- Cost-effective conductance testing insures accurate results at a reasonable cost
- Quick 1-second initial results
- Detects and identifies loose leads
- Detects bad cells
- Provides surface charge warning
- Measures multiple international units including CCA, IEC, DIN, BCI, and EN
- Tests 12 volt batteries 125-1400 CCAs
- Product Dimensions are 10.3 x 8.5 x 4.1 inches
- 1 – Soft-sided protective carrying case
- Simple and easy to use
- Fast and accurate testing
- Made in the USA
- Displays codes which have to be interpreted
Cen-Tech is one of many brands of the Harbor Freight Tools Company which offers 1000’s of tools at discount prices. Its Cen-Tech Digital Automotive Battery Analyzer gets high marks for its many accurate automotive battery checks including voltage, CCA, resistance, and overall battery condition. Here’s what you need to know.
- Continuous testing will not damage the battery
- Needs no internal batteries using instead your car battery for power
- Large backlit LCD screen is easy to read in just about any light conditions
- Digitally analyzes the condition of automotive batteries including voltage, cold cranking amps, resistance, and overall battery condition
- Soft protective, easy-to-carry covering and durable design
- 19-3/4 inch lead length
- Overall dimensions are 6L x 3-1/8W x 1-3/4H inches
- Lightweight, accurate, and easy to use
- Displays internal resistance in addition to CCA
- Screen is easy to read
- Connections do not feel durable
- Must enter correct CCA to get accurate readings
Many folks like the OTC 3182 130-Amp Digital Battery Load Tester for its ability to test and analyze both 6 and 12 volt batteries along with its lightweight, rugged design. It has multiple test capability to analyze your batteries, starter, alternator, and charging system. Here’s what you need to know.
- Test and analyze both 6 and 12-volt batteries
- Compact, lightweight, rugged design with unique dual jaw clamp design
- Large, easy-to-read display
- Side clamp mount
- Comfortable, easy-grip ergonomic handle
- Alternator test lead
- Ripple detection light
- 0-16 volt range
- State of charge feedback
- Battery load test
- Starter and charging system test
- Alternator ripple test
- Product dimensions are 13.7 x 8.6 x 4.9 inches
- Good build quality
- Easy to use and understand
- Very accurate testing
- Reasonably priced
- Simulated load can get very hot
- Must interpret voltage reading under load to determine if the battery is good or bad
- Larger size
- Cables short
Another popular 12-volt digital tester is the SOLAR BA7 100-1200 CCA Electronic Battery and System tester by Clore Automotive. More than just a battery tester, it is a complete system analyzer providing both numerical and pass/fail quick assessment results of starting and charging system tests. It can analyze just about any type of battery including conventional, maintenance-free, AGM, gel cel, and marine cranking deep cycle and has a range of 7-15 volts. Here’s what you need to know.
- Operating range of 7-15 volts
- Tests batteries rated between 100-1200 CCA
- Capable of providing both numerical and pass/fail quick assessment results of starting and charging system testing
- Compatible with a wide range of battery types including conventional, maintenance-free, AGM, spiral wound, gel cel, and marine cranking deep cycle
- Pocket-sized form factor makes this unit highly portable and easy to store
- Bright 4-digit LED display
- Built-in reverse polarity and over-voltage protection safeguards your equipment
- Unit weighs only 0.6 lbs.
- 1-Year limited warranty
- Durable construction
- Very accurate test results
- Convenient small form factor
- Great value
- Difficult to read in direct sunlight
- Does not come with a case
- User interface takes getting used to
- Clamps are small
Much like the popular BA7, the SOLAR BA9 40-1200 CCA Digital Battery and System Tester by Clore Automotive has some great features and is a complete digital battery and system tester for 12 volt batteries. With its easy operation, accuracy, and starting and charging system performance testing, it’s also a great value. It’s optimized to test four distinct battery types including conventional flooded acid, AGM flat plate, AGM spiral wound, and gel cel. It can provide accurate results even with discharged batteries down to 7 volts and is very safe to use. Here’s what you need to know.
- Wide operating test range of 40-1200 CCA and 7-15 volts
- Complete battery, starting, and 12V charging system performance testing
- Capable of testing four distinct battery types including conventional flooded acid, AGM flat plate, AGM spiral wound, and gel cel
- Provides accurate analysis of both charged and discharged batteries down to 7 volts
- Safety features include reverse polarity and over-voltage protection
- Easy-to-read LCD screen provides optimal viewing in a variety of light conditions
- Compact form factor fits perfectly in your toolbox
- Unit walks operator through the test sequence for accurate results every time
- Capable of testing against a wide range of rating systems including CCA, DIN, JIS, EN, and IEC
- Easy to use with clear instructions
- Accurate test measurements
- Easy to read display in multiple light conditions
- Reasonably priced
- None noted
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these multi-battery testers? Which digital battery tester are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our CarBatteryChargersCentral.com article! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best battery tester for your needs!