If you currently have a personal favorite that you believe is the best car battery brand, it’s probably one of the big names like DieHard, OPTIMA, Duralast, or Interstate. The battery business in the U.S. is huge, but the number of companies manufacturing car batteries is small. In fact, all of the names I just mentioned are either brands of Johnson Controls or are wholly or in part manufactured under private label agreements with Johnson Controls. Other than OPTIMA batteries, batteries of the various brands are very similar in construction. So if you’re paying more for a non-OPTIMA battery, you’re most likely paying for a longer warranty (insurance policy).
Although OPTIMA is a brand of Johnson Controls, OPTIMA is still manufacturing batteries in their state-of-the-art facilities and batteries and chargers are their only focus. Also, OPTIMA batteries are different than traditional batteries in that they all use Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology and SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY that when combined give OPTIMA batteries a distinct edge in performance and durability.
You will often pay more for an OPTIMA battery, but in this case you’re paying for more expensive technology rather than a longer-life insurance policy. If you’re looking for a durable battery with more cranking power, more cycles, and state-of-the-art technology, an OPTIMA battery may be the best car battery brand for you.
Best Car Battery Brand: OPTIMA Batteries
Optima batteries are known for their unique look, but their legend goes far beyond mere appearances. They have some of the most unique performance and endurance features in the industry. Check out all the great features that put OPTIMA batteries at the top of their class.
Best Car Battery Brand – SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY
- At the heart of every OPTIMA battery is a series of six individual spiral-wound cells made up of two pure (99.99%) continuous-cast lead strips manufactured with a precise coating of lead oxide and separated by OPTIMA’s proprietary micro-fiberglass blend.
- These six “Jelly Roll” cells are inserted into a precision-molded cylindrical case made of virgin polypropylene that ensures perfect and uniform compression and a contaminant- and impurity-free environment.
- In traditional flooded batteries, the positive and negative grids are hung inside a box submerged in an acid solution. With AGM batteries, positive and negative plates are separated by an absorbent glass mat that holds the electrolyte like a sponge minimizing the potential for electrolyte spillage in high vibration environments.
Higher Purity Lead
- OPTIMAAGM batteries also use a higher 99.99% pure virgin lead than many other AGM and typical flooded cell batteries extending battery and increasing performance by reducing power-robbing contaminants and gassing.
Industry-Leading Design Advantages
- OPTIMA batteries’ lower internal resistance combined with a greater plate surface area contributes to OPTIMA’s outstanding starting power, faster recharging, and higher voltages during discharge.
- With their spiral-wound cells and precision manufactured, high-performance outer cases, OPTIMA batteries are virtually spill-proof (even when cracked or damaged) and withstand higher-vibration environments.
- OPTIMA’s unique design gives their batteries higher cranking power in a smaller, lighter-weight package.
- You will be able to apply higher charges during recharging due to OPTIMA’s ability to accept higher charge voltages than traditional batteries.
- You get more power-per-pound than traditional lead-acid plate batteries thanks to OPTIMA’s higher-efficiency, spiral-wound cells and close-tolerance manufacturing processes.
- You can expect a longer service life from OPTIMA batteries due to their lower-gassing design, more-durable spiral-wound cells, and their tough outer cases.
Choosing The Right OPTIMA
Few would argue that OPTIMA makes great batteries, but how do you choose the model that’s right for you? We have provided some information below that will help you pick the right OPTIMA battery. It’s all in the colors!
- The OPTIMA YELLOWTOP is the most likely battery you will need for your car. It is ideal for accessory-loaded cars and trucks that will repeatedly be brought back from deep power drains to full charge while still providing maximum starting power over and over.
- The OPTIMA YELLOWTOP is designed to provide over 300+ discharge/recharge cycles.
- Get up to 2X longer battery life with an OPTIMA YELLOWTOP than a traditional lead-acid plate battery.
- The YELLOWTOP is a true dual-purpose automotive battery with both premium cranking power and remarkable cycling capability.
- With lower internal resistance the YELLOWTOP will provide more consistent power output and faster recharging.
- Get up to 15X the vibration resistance from the YELLOWTOP spillproof, maintenance-free design that can be mounted in virtually any position.
YELLOWTOP Example Applications
- Trucks with winches
- Vehicles with high-demand electronics and audio systems
- Commercial vehicles and heavy equipment
OPTIMA REDTOP batteries are designed for starting applications and deliver the strongest burst of ignition power for reliable starting every time.
- Designed for demanding cranking/starting applications, the REDTOP will outperform and outlast traditional lead-acid plate batteries.
- Resistant to the most common causes of battery failure and with its high-power delivery, the REDTOP is ideal for applications that require a spillproof starting battery.
REDTOP Example Applications
- Hot rods
- Street cars
The OPTIMA BLUETOP battery is designed to provide longer running time and more recharges than a traditional battery.
- You will enjoy up to 3X more recharges with an OPTIMA BLUETOP battery than with traditional lead-acid plate batteries.
- You will spend less time worrying about your battery with the BLUETOP’s efficient power delivery, faster recharge time, sure-starting, strong-cranking, maintenance-free, and vibration resistance.
- The BLUETOP is available in dual-purpose and starting applications.
BLUETOP Example Applications
- Boats with trolling motors
- Extensive electronic systems
Buy Factory Direct From Optima and for a limited time Get FREE Shipping!
Best Car Battery Brand
Want an OPTIMA battery charger to go along with your new OPTIMA battery? Be sure and check out our article Optima Battery Chargers: Optima 150-34178 Digital 1200 Battery Charger.
Want to see other battery charger choices? Check out our articles Battery Tender Jr: 5 Best Reasons To Buy and Trickle Charger: Top Battery Tender Trickle Charger. For a look at other popular battery chargers under $100 be sure and take a look at our article Car Battery Chargers Top 10 Under $100.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
Which battery do you think is the best car battery brand? Which OPTIMA battery are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share with others if you think they will benefit!
Thanks for reading! I hope this article has given you valuable information you can use when choosing the best car battery brand for you!