First it’s important to recognize that there are only a few battery manufacturers in the U.S. who produce under many different brand names. So if you’re thinking that you might choose a Duralast, Optima, Interstate or Diehard battery as the best car battery because of the brand, you should know that they are all made by the same manufacturer; Johnson Controls Industries.
If you look at the most trusted names in car batteries, they would have to be Optima, Diehard, Duralast, and Interstate. So, everything else being equal, I believe Johnson Controls makes the best batteries.
Every battery has its purpose. When it comes to car batteries, the vehicle you use them in is as important as the battery’s name. Whether you’re looking for a replacement battery for your family car or one for a 4×4, weekend race car, large SUV, or other vehicle that might experience heavy-duty use, you should definitely consider an Optima battery.
Optima batteries come in RedTop, YellowTop, and BlueTop versions. Here’s the difference:
- YellowTop batteries are designed for everyday use in your car or SUV and provide the power you need for today’s electronics-loaded vehicles.
- RedTop batteries are designed for tougher applications like trucks, large SUVs, hot rods, and weekend racers and provide extra starting power.
- BlueTop batteries are designed for RVs and marine applications.
With their patented SPIRALCELL Technology for performance and their vibration resistance, Optima YellowTop batteries are great for performance vehicles or your family car. Optima YellowTop batteries are built for the extremes so that you don’t have to worry about starting and running when the going gets tough. Check out these great features.
Best Car Battery Power
- The Optima 8040-218-FFP 12-volt battery has a full 650 amps of cold cranking power.
- You get 98 minutes of reserve capacity for reliable performance.
- This battery provides optimal starting power even in cold and hot temperatures.
- Audiophiles will appreciate the cleaner power and higher voltage output of the Optima YellowTop.
- Optima batteries hold a higher voltage throughout the discharge cycle giving it more stored power compared to standard batteries.
- Optima batteries are ideal for seasonal use due to their low self-discharge rate.
- Optima YellowTop batteries have cells that are tightly compressed into supportive chambers giving them 15 times the resistance to vibration than standard batteries. You can expect the Optima 8040-218-FFP to last longer than a standard battery even enduring the toughest environments.
- If you have a vehicle with extra accessories like running lights, a high-performance audio/video system, winches, or hydraulics, the Optima YellowTop will provide all the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands.
- Dirt, moisture, heat or extreme conditions won’t stop your Optima battery from delivering uninterrupted power.
- Optima batteries are sealed, spill-proof, and corrosion resistant for increased safety.
- You don’t have to worry about acid leaks or spills making this Optima battery clean, user-friendly, and environmentally sound.
Best Car Battery Pros
- Plenty of cold-cranking amps
- More expensive
- Shorter warranty
Best Car Battery
Need a great battery charger to go with your Optima battery? Be sure and take a look at our article Car Battery Chargers Top 10 Under $100 For 2013.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
I would love to get your opinion on this article or hear your car battery story. Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
I hope this article has given you valuable information that you can use when comparing 12-volt lead-acid batteries for your car. I think you can see that the Optima 8040-218-FFP YellowTop deserves consideration as the best car battery.