First of all, if you’re thinking about buying the best jumper cables, I commend you for considering putting this important piece of safety equipment in your car or your family member’s car. Over the years, I’ve used booster cables to jump my car, my wife’s car, many friends’ and strangers’ cars, all of my children’s’ cars, and their girlfriends’ and wives’ cars. It’s just a fact of life that batteries die for all kinds of reasons and unfortunately, they choose to die at some of the most inconvenient times and in the worst places!
Whether one of your family members comes to rescue you or a Good Samaritan, you need to be the one that controls your own destiny by having a set of jumper cables in your car ready to go when the need arises. Being ready is half the battle and it’s not like you have to think about it. You buy the cables, stow them in your car and your done.
Have you heard about the new compact Lithium jump starters that are replacing jumper cables everywhere? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Power Pack Jump Starter: Popular Lithium Jump Starter Power Bank Saves Day
- Portable Car Battery Jumper: New Powerful Battery Booster Has Integrated Air Compressor
- Auto Battery Jump Starter: Powerful New Beast Battery Booster
- Jump Starter Pack: Top Rated Heavy Duty Lithium Car Jump Starter Power Bank
- Emergency Jump Starter: Best New Heavy-Duty Lithium Battery Booster
- Booster Pack: Powerful New Compact Lithium Jump Starter Brings 7.0L Engine to Life
- Battery Jump Start: Enjoy Safe Fast Easy Portable Battery Booster Technology Today
- Portable Battery Jump Starter: Top Rated New DBPOWER Battery Booster Lineup
- Compact Jump Starter: New Powerful Compact Battery Booster
- Car Battery Jumper: Top 5 Highest Rated New Lithium Battery Jump Starters
- Car Battery Charger Jump Starter: Top 8 Best Rated Portable Lead-Acid Battery Boosters
So what makes a set of booster cables the best jumper cables to buy? There are three main considerations; cable gauge (thickness), cable length, and the connection clamps. Cable gauge affects how much power can be pushed through the cables to your battery. Cable length determines how far away the two vehicles can be and still effectively jump start. Finally, a lot of cables skimp on the alligator clamps on the end to save money. You need a good connection to jump-start a battery, so the best jumper cables will have heavy-duty clamps!
For good all-purpose cables, I recommend 4-gauge, 16-feet+, and heavy-duty alligator clamp. A 4-gauge set of cables will jump start just about anything and can channel up to 250% more power to your battery than 10 gauge cables. I recommend 20-foot cables, but you should choose 16-foot as a minimum. This is based on the theory that your situation might require that the power source vehicle may have to park end-to-end with yours. Shorter cables just wouldn’t reach and you need to be well-prepared. If you have an SUV or truck, it’s a no-brainer…longer, thicker cables are a necessity. Buy cables with heavy-duty alligator clamps. The best kind can connect to side posts as well as top posts, are well insulated, and have stiff enough springs to hang on to any connection.
We searched battery forums, retail sites, manufacturer sites, social media, customer review sites, and consumer sites to find the most popular and highly rated jumper cables.
Take a look at our choice and see if these jumper cables are the best jumper cables for your needs!
Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty 4-Gauge Auto Battery Booster Cables with Polar Glo-Watt Clamps (20 Feet)
First of all, the Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty 4-Gauge Auto Battery Booster Cables with Polar Glo-Watt Clamps (20 Feet) meet all of our criteria exactly. They are 4-gauge, 20-feet in length, and have heavy-duty alligator clamps. Second, they are less than $50 which makes them a good value. Take a look at their great features.
Best Jumper Cables: Features
- Heavy-duty, 4-gauge cables channel up to 250% more power to your battery than economy 10-gauge cables. These are the strongest consumer-grade cables you can buy and they are tough enough to resist motor oil, rain, and chemicals.
- You will appreciate the 20-foot length of these Road Power cables which are designed to easily reach from one battery to another in even the most difficult situations and with the largest vehicles.
- The 4-gauge, heavy-duty cables are the strongest consumer grade available, and they resist motor oil, rain, and chemicals for dependable use.
- Engineered for both warm and cold climates, Coleman Cable 08660 Booster Cables stay pliable in the withstanding temperatures down to -94 degrees F and can stand up to the heat.
- These Road Power booster cables have an exclusive T-Prene coating that ensures flexibility when you’re using them and then makes them easy to store when you’re done.
- Made in America
- Coleman Cable has unique, safety, triple-polarity identification with color-coding, indent stamped, and Polar Glow clamps. The polarity labels (+ or -) glow in the dark so it’s easier to hook up properly even in low light situations.
- These are some of the safest clamps around due to heavy shielding on current-conducting clamp surfaces to prevent short circuits and recessed energized surfaces to prevent accidental contact.
- The clamps are heavy-duty and will fit top and side-post batteries equally well. They have extended clamp jaws with heavy grooves that help lock the connection in place for more reliable jump starting.
- The clamp handles are designed to make it easier for a wide variety of hand sizes to handle them more easily.
- Heavy gauge
- Made in America
- High quality
- Great clamps
- Clamps can twist while opening
- No teeth on ends of clamps
- No strain-relief on copper cables
Best Jumper Cables
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
Please share if you think others will benefit!
Which jumper cables do you think are the best? Which booster cables are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Jumper cables can be lifesavers when you’re stranded with a dead battery. I sincerely hope this article has given you valuable information that you can use to help choose the best jumper cables for your needs!