Many manufacturers make a car battery tester, so there are plenty of choices. The question is what do you want to use the car battery tester for and how often do you need to perform testing.
If you’re a casual user who rarely needs to test a car battery, then a simple handheld automotive battery tester will suffice. On the other hand, if you are a professional or find yourself testing many batteries a year, or if you need a printout of the results to give to a customer or to document your work, then you need a digital car battery tester and system tester with printing capability.
Interested in learning about other battery tools? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Wheeled Battery Charger: Top Rated Manual Wheeled Battery Charger Tester
- Battery Tester: Top 7 Best Rated Digital Vehicle Multi-Battery Testers
This article is for heavy users of battery testers who need the reliable results of a professional-grade battery tester.
What should you look for in a professional level automotive battery tester?
If you work on many vehicles each year or find yourself testing several batteries a year, you will want a testing solution that can handle both 6- and 12-volt batteries and you will want to be able to accommodate both 12- and 24-volt charging systems. That sort of flexibility will keep you working when otherwise, you would need to find a companion system to temporarily fill-in the gap in capability. Also, make certain the battery analyzer has some way to compensate for the ambient air temperature prior to a test.
Cold Cranking Amps Capability
Most testers can handle a wide range of CCA batteries. Make sure it’s capable of handling all the batteries you’re likely to encounter.
Time is money and if the system you’re using to test batteries is complicated enough to make it possible for you to misinterpret results, then you need to choose a different setup. The digital battery analyzer you choose should easy and intuitive to operate with quick, accurate assessment of your battery’s condition and starting and charging system performance.
The best car battery testers will walk you through the battery testing sequence prompting you for key pieces of information while guiding you from one step to the next.
Ability to Assess Charged and Discharged Batteries
Some testers need to know if you’re testing a charged or discharged battery before the test is initiated. The best battery and system testers can provide an accurate assessment of both charged and discharged batteries saving you time and effort.
Battery Type Compatibility
Just like with voltage, if you test a lot of batteries and systems, you need a tester that can handle a wide variety of battery types. Expect a good car battery tester to handle conventional flooded acid, AGM flat plate, AGM spiral wound, and Gel cell batteries.
Some battery and system testers provide a connection for you to connect a printer. The best models have an integrated printer, so you can print results right at the vehicle. You already know that a printer makes it easier to document tests or provide results to customers, but not needing a separate printer saves time and confusion.
We searched automotive forums, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, social media, customer review sites, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated digital car battery and system tester with an integrated printer.
Take a look at our choice and see if this popular digital tester is the best car battery tester for your needs!
SOLAR is an industry-respected brand and their SOLAR BA327 20-2000 CCA Electronic Battery and System Tester with Printer is an excellent example of their quality equipment. It offers a complete testing solution for 6- and 12-volt batteries and 12- and 24-volt charging systems. It features an integrated printer that will deliver easy and fast service documentation and easy, intuitive operation with a quick, accurate assessment of your battery’s condition and starting and charging system performance. Its fully adjustable, brightly backlit screen with 4-line display provides clear viewing in bright or low light environments and large buttons make the unit easy to work with even while wearing gloves.
Car Battery Tester: Features
- 6- and 12-volt battery, 12- and 24-volt charging system digital electronic battery and system tester with printer
- Compatible with a wide variety of battery types including conventional flooded acid, AGM flat plate, AGM spiral wound, and Gel Cell
- Wide operating range test batteries down to 40 CCA and as high as 2000 CCA
- Voltage compensation feature prompts the operator for the ambient temperature at the time of the test
- Integrated printer uses standard thermal paper and delivers easy and fast service documentation with a clear and quick printing sequence that completes in just seconds
- Easy and intuitive operation with large buttons makes the tester easy to operate even while wearing gloves and delivers quick and accurate battery condition and starting and charging system performance assessment
- Bright, fully adjustable, backlit display has a 4-line display and provides clear viewing in a variety of lighting conditions
- Memory function remembers your last test values, so repetitive testing of similar batteries is much faster
- New Start-Stop battery testing capability
- Operator can perform either a battery test, system test, or both
- Tester walks through the testing sequence, prompting for key pieces of information, and guiding the operator from one step to the next
- Tester provides an accurate assessment of both charged and discharged batteries, saving time and effort
- Protection against reverse polarity
- Long 10-foot cable leads with replaceable cable ends
- Included ruggedized protective carrying case keeps the tester safe when not in use
- Multilingual operation
- Internal counter tracks the number of tests performed and a unique warranty tracking code is recorded for each test performed
- Accurate test results
- Compact and lightweight
- Integrated printer makes documentation easy
- Clear, sharp LCD screen
Car Battery Tester
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this popular automotive battery and system tester? Which car battery tester are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
A car battery tester that has an integrated printer is the professional way to document testing and provide easy service documentation. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best car battery tester for your needs!