You don’t ride your bike during the winter and probably not as often as you would like to other times. While your Harley is sitting its battery is discharging. To stop the discharge, maintain your battery at peak efficiency, and make sure it’s ready to ride when you are, you need a Harley battery charger. A Harley battery charger is one that is specifically designed to charge and maintain lead-acid or lithium batteries like those used in Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
Which Harley battery charger you need depends on a few different factors. Depending on the age of your Harley, you may have six or 12-volt battery. What type of battery do you have? Is it conventional lead-acid, maintenance-free lead-acid, maintenance-free dry charge, maintenance-free Gel, maintenance-free AGM, or one of the newer Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries?
What should you look for in the best Harley battery charger?
Dual Voltage Capability
You may not need a Harley battery charger that can handle dual voltages now, but what about your friends and family. It’s definitely nice to have the capability in case you need it down the road. If you have a 6V battery in your Harley, you definitely should consider dual voltages so you can charge and maintain your other 12V vehicles as well.
Interested in seeing other great battery chargers? Be sure and see our other articles about some of the best!
- Best Car Battery Charger: Best 12V Vehicle Charger
- Trickle Charger for Motorcycle: Best Value Motorcycle Charger and Maintainer
- Car Battery Charger: Best New Car Battery Charger Tender
- Battery Charger for Car: Top 7 Best Rated Car Battery Chargers
- Battery Maintainer: Powerful High-Tech Battery Charger
- Auto Battery Charger: Best Next Gen Car Battery Charger
- Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger
There really isn’t a reason beyond price to buy a manual battery charger maintainer for your Harley. Plus, you are at risk of losing all of the money you saved and much more if you overcharge your battery by accident.
A fully automatic battery charger is set and forget. You hook it up to your battery and it does the rest. It will charge your battery and then maintain it indefinitely at the right charge level without manual intervention and without damaging your charger, battery, or vehicle.
Microprocessor controlled or smart chargers have a built-in computer that precisely controls the charging and maintenance process.
Harley-Davidson batteries come in a variety of types and chemistries. Make sure your battery type is covered by the Harley battery charger you buy.
We also recommend that regardless of whether you currently have a newer lithium battery or not, you should prepare for the switch to lithium at some point in the future. Lithium batteries provide more cold cranking amps, are much lighter in weight, discharge more slowly, and will last longer than conventional lead-acid batteries. The drawback right now is price. They are also much more expensive.
You should expect any modern, automatic Harley battery charger to include safety features that protect you, your motorcycle battery charger, battery, and your Harley from damage or injury. Minimum safety features to look for include reverse polarity protection, spark-proof connections, and overcharge protection.
Battery Conditioning and Repair
Some models are capable of actually repairing your battery damaged by sulfation causing low-voltage or lost capacity by using a high-voltage pulse charge. They can also stabilize your battery’s internal battery chemistry for increased performance and longer battery life.
When a Harley battery charger manufacturer provides a long warranty on their equipment, they are telling you that they have faith in their materials and workmanship. Look for at least a 3-year warranty on any Harley-Davidson battery charger you buy.
We searched battery forums, motorcycle forums, manufacturer sites, social media, consumer sites, retail sites, and customer review sites to find the most popular and highly rated battery charger maintainer.
Take a look at this very capable charger and battery maintainer from NOCO and see if it is the best battery charger for your Harley!
The NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger is one of the safest and most technologically advanced. It features a smart microprocessor-controlled charging process that can handle both 6V and 12V and is one of the few charger maintainers that can charge and maintain both lead-acid and lithium batteries. This model is perfect for charging and maintaining Harley-Davidson motorcycle batteries unattended indefinitely without risk of overcharging or damaging the charger, battery, or motorcycle. The newest version of the G3500 can even be used with micro-hybrid, start-stop, and CANBUS electrical systems. Its active monitoring capability reduces consumption and provides a number of safety features like reverse polarity protection and spark-proof connections. Here’s what you need to know.
Harley Battery Charger: Features
- Smart, computer-controlled ultra-compact, portable, lightweight, 6V/12V 3.5A smart battery charger designed for both lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries
- Perfect for maintaining motorcycle, automotive, marine, RV, power sports, water sports, lawn and garden, and deep-cycle batteries
- Built-in advanced technology allows this charger to charge 2X faster than conventional chargers
- Detects low-voltage, sulfation, and lost capacity conditions and automatically applies a high-voltage pulse charge to repair and condition your motorcycle’s battery
- Capable of charging drained lead-acid and lithium batteries up to 120Ah and stabilizing internal battery chemistry for increased performance and longer battery life
- Designed to counteract increased cyclic energy demands placed on batteries in micro-hybrid and Start-Stop vehicles and CANBUS electrical systems
- Active battery monitoring dynamically detects organic battery feedback and automatically adapts charging current to each load
- Safety features include reverse polarity protection, spark-proof connections, overcharge protection, overcurrent protection, open-circuit protection, short-circuit protection, and overheat protection
- Multi-level firewall safety barrier prevents unsafe and abnormal conditions
- Safely leave the G3500 connected to your battery 24/7 indefinitely without risk of damage to your battery or electrical system and without manual intervention
- Energy-save mode minimizes energy consumption when full power is not needed
- Temperature compensation technology sensors adjust charge based on ambient temperature
- Mountable using built-in external mounting holes
- Rubberized base enhances use on multiple surfaces without scratching
- Impact, UV, and water-resistant (IP65)
- Bright, user-friendly LED status indicators provide the charge state of your battery both while charging and in maintenance mode
- 5-Year limited warranty
- 1 – X-Connect battery clamps
- 1 – Eyelet terminals
Harley Battery Charger
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this battery charger maintainer? Which motorcycle battery charger are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our CarBatteryChargersCentral.com Harley Battery Charger article! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best Harley battery charger for your needs!