An on board battery charger with 24-volt capability gives you the convenience of charging your boat, forklift, electric scooter, chair lift, golf cart, RV, heavy vehicle, construction equipment, mobility chair, or other vehicle without having to transport the charger. An on board battery charger with maintenance capability can keep your battery fully charged while you’re not using it so it’s ready to go when you are.
An important feature of any on board battery charger that will be mounted on a vehicle is waterproofing. Battery chargers exposed to the elements won’t last very long without being able to withstand the weather. A marine battery charger or boat battery charger is particularly susceptible to corrosion from the harsh marine environment.
Interested in learning about other onboard battery chargers? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Onboard Boat Battery Charger: Advanced Onboard Smart 3-Bank Marine Battery Charger
- Dual Pro Battery Charger: Top Rated Dual Pro 3 Bank Onboard Battery Charger
- 4 Bank Battery Charger: 3 Top Rated 4-Bank Onboard Battery Chargers
- Best Onboard Marine Battery Charger 2-Bank Options
- ProMariner Battery Charger: Top Rated ProMariner 3 Bank Battery Charger
- 3 Bank Battery Charger: Top Rated Budget 3 Bank 20 Amp Charger
- 3 Bank Marine Battery Charger: 5 Top Rated Boat Battery Chargers
- Boat Battery Charger: Best Rated 2-Bank Marine Charger
How much power do you need? That depends on what you want to use the battery charger for. If you are charging your battery every day for daily use, you need a more powerful charger that can handle deep cycle battery charging requirements.
On the other hand, if you’re storing your vehicle or use it infrequently, a lower amperage on board charger that can charge and maintain the battery at the right charge is probably all you need.
The difference is that powerful battery chargers cost much more, are heavier, and are not typically mounted on the vehicle.
It’s important when choosing a battery tender to buy one of the new smart chargers. A smart onboard boat battery charger will charge your battery and then maintain it at the proper charge level automatically without manual intervention and without overcharging.
We searched battery forums, manufacturer sites, customer review sites, consumer sites, social media, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated on board battery tender.
Take a look at our choice and see if this waterproof charger is the best battery charger for your needs!
If you need a budget on board battery tender to mount on a boat, forklift, golf cart, RV, or other vehicle with 24V charging requirements, Deltran’s popular and highly rated Battery Tender 022-0158-1 Waterproof 24-Volt Power Tender Plus Battery Charger is an excellent choice. It features 2.5 amps of constant current recharging and maintenance capability in a fully-potted, vibration resistant, shock-resistant, and waterproof design. Its integrated microprocessor controls an internal 4-stage charge program that will charge your battery to a full charge and then maintain the battery indefinitely automatically without manual intervention and without overcharging the battery. It’s portable or you can mount it directly on the vehicle using its integrated mounting flange with mounting holes.
On Board Battery Charger: Features
- 24-volt, 2.5-amp, waterproof, vibration-resistant, microprocessor-controlled4-stage charge program, on board battery charger and maintainer
- Automatic 4-stage, microprocessor-controlled, BTP Technology program charges and maintains flooded, sealed, maintenance free, and AGM lead-acid batteries
- Four step charging program includes Initialization, Bulk, Absorption, and Float/Maintenance stages
- Use it as a portable charger or mount it directly on your vehicle using its integrated mounting flange with mounting holes
- Fully potted with a steel casing, it is vibration-resistant, shock-resistant, and waterproof
- Safety features include protection against short circuit and reverse polarity as well as a 72-hour safety timer
- Compact and lightweight design weighs less than 4 lbs.
- Listed in the California Appliance Efficiency Database
- Approved by UL, CSA, BC, and FCC
- 2-Year limited warranty
- Note: Not FAA approved and should not be used with aviation or true Gel Cel batteries
- Solid construction and materials
- Budget price for capability
- Hook up and forget capability
- Compact, lightweight, and easy to use
- Alligator clips must be purchased separately
On Board Battery Charger
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this popular battery tender? Which onboard charger are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
A single bank waterproof 12V marine battery charger that can be mounted right on your boat can make the task of keeping your boat battery charged easier and more convenient. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best on board battery charger for your needs!