An RV battery charger converter should deliver safe, reliable, filtered DC power to your RV 12V lighting and appliance circuits and safely recharge and maintain your RV batteries. Combining a battery charger and maintainer with a power converter, an RV battery charger converter keeps the power flowing for all your RV adventures.
Several companies feature power converter chargers for the RV industry and you may be researching which is best for you. An RV battery charger converter is available in a variety of power outputs and may come with a variety of features depending on your needs.
What features should you look for in an RV power converter charger?
Smart Battery Charger
Some converter chargers are smart chargers with a built-in microprocessor that actively monitors battery voltage and condition to insure rapid, safe recharges and maintenance of RV batteries. Smart battery chargers use variable voltage outputs and multiple operating modes to accurately provide the right charging profile to your battery.
Electronic Current Limiting
A safety feature built-in to quality power converter chargers, electronic current limiting rapid reduces the converter output when it detects an electrical short or overload condition. It prevents damage to the RV converter and to your RV wiring. Once the fault condition is eliminated, the RV battery charger converter returns to normal operation.
Looking for external 12V battery chargers and maintainers for your RV? Be sure and see our other articles about some of the best!
- Solar Battery Tender: Best 15-Watt Solar Battery Charger
- RV Solar Battery Charger: Best Rated Foldable RV Power
- Auto Battery Chargers: Top 10 Best Rated Car Battery Chargers
- Battery Charger for Car: Top 7 Best Rated Car Battery Chargers
- Waterproof Battery Charger: Top Rated 12V Battery Charger Maintainer
- Battery Maintainer: Powerful High-Tech Battery Tender Charger
- Solar Car Battery Charger: Top 5 Best Rated 5W Solar Battery Tenders
- Solar Powered Battery Chargers: Most Popular Charger
- Auto Battery Charger: Best Next Gen Car Battery Charger
- SunForce 50022 5-Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger
- Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger
- 12 Volt Solar Battery Charger Saves Family Adventures
- RV Solar Battery Charger: Let Sun Power Charge Your RV Battery
- 12 Volt Battery Charger: Top 5 Solar Battery Chargers
Smart Cooling Fan Control
Every RV battery charger converter has a built-in cooling fan to lower converter temperature, reduce the possibility of converter failure, and prolong its useful life. There are basically two choices for fan control design. Solid state electrical and electro-mechanical. A solid state temperature sensing and control system automatically monitor converter temperature and activates the variable-speed fan at an appropriate cooling RPM. The RV converter charger fan will operate at slower, quieter speeds during low demand and higher speed when demand is high.
Electro-mechanical fan control systems perform the same function, but are more subject to failure causing the fan to operate continuously with noisy operation. The electro-mechanical is also more likely to fail during high temperature operation causing the fan to stop and possibly overheating the converter.
Automatic Thermal Protection
If the cooling fan control system does fail, automatic thermal protection reduces converter output to prevent damage to the converter. The system also detects risks to the system such as improper ventilation due to incorrect placement or inadvertent covering.
Low Voltage Protection
It’s not uncommon for RV campgrounds to provide low AC line voltage which can damage RV battery charger converters. Low voltage protection allows a converter to operate a low AC line voltages without risk of damage. When the converter detects low line voltage, it shuts down the converter to prevent damage and then returns to operation when the line voltage returns to normal. Low voltage line protection has the added benefit of protecting onboard 12V appliances from damage due to irregular line voltage.
High Voltage Protection
High voltage shutdown circuits incorporated into some RV battery charger converters provide high voltage protection by automatically shutting down the converter in the event of line voltage spikes and then returns to normal operation when line voltage returns to normal. This protects sensitive electronics from high voltage line spikes or if the RV generator regulator should fail.
Reverse Polarity Protection
Damage to batteries or the converter can occur if battery leads are accidentally connected in reverse without protection against reverse polarity. An RV battery charger converter with reverse polarity protection uses an in-line fuse to protect the converter in the event battery leads are accidentally connected in reverse. Simply replace the fuse to restore normal operation.
We searched forums, retail sites, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, social media sites, and customer review sites to find top-rated converter chargers with the safety features, durability, and reliability you’re looking for in an RV battery charger converter.
We found the Progressive Dynamics 9200 Series INTELI-POWER converter chargers to be the safe, reliable choice of many RV owners to provide filtered 12V DC power and to charge and maintain their RV batteries.
While many converter chargers have only charge and don’t maintain your RV battery, the 9200 Series converter chargers have four charging modes including BOOST (14.4V), NORMAL (13.6V), STORAGE (13.2V), and DESULFATION (13.2V with a 15 minute 14.4V burst every 21 hours).
BOOST MODE rapidly brings your RV battery up to 90% of full charge. NORMAL MODE safely completes the charge or maintains the charge. STORAGE MODE maintains the charge with minimal gassing or water loss during downtime or storage.
- Built-in Charge Wizard provides smart battery charging and maintenance
- Electronic current limiting protects against short circuits of overloads
- Solid-state smart variable-speed cooling fan control is quieter and prolongs converter life
- Automatic thermal protection prevents damage to the converter in the event of fan failure of improper ventilation
- Low voltage protection prevents damage to your RV battery in the event of low AC line voltage conditions
- High voltage protection shutdown circuit automatically shuts down the converter in the event of AC line voltage spikes to prevent damage to sensitive electronics
- Reverse polarity protection uses an in-line fuse to prevent damage to your RV battery from inadvertent reverse connection of battery leads
- Built-in microprocessor-controlled Charge Wizard system uses one of three charging voltage and one of four operating modes to accurately provide the right charging profile to your RV battery
- Built-in Accessory Port allows you to easily add a Converter Status Remote Pendant to show charger/converter status
- Optional Converter Status Remote Pendant shows in which of the four charging modes the RV battery charger operating
- All models available for lead-acid or gel-cell batteries
The Progressive Dynamics 9200 Series Electronic Power Converters line includes four models with your choice of 45, 60, 70, or 80 Amps power output and all come with a long 2-Year limited warranty.
Take a look at these popular RV battery charger converter models and see if one of them is the best power converter charger for your needs!
Capable of safely recharging your RV’s battery to 90% in 2-3 hours, the powerful Progressive Dynamics PD9245CV 45-Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard features four charging modes and includes a safe, reliable 45-Amp power converter to provide filtered DC power to all your 12V lighting and appliance circuits. It measures 4.5 x 8.25 x 7.25 inches and weighs in at 4.5 lbs.
Capable of safely recharging your RV’s battery to 90% in 2-3 hours, the powerful Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV 60-Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard features four charging modes and includes a safe, reliable 60-Amp power converter to provide filtered DC power to all your 12V lighting and appliance circuits. Its dimensions are 3.6 x 8 x 9 inches and it weighs in at 5.8 lbs.
Capable of safely recharging your RV’s battery to 90% in 2-3 hours, the powerful Progressive Dynamics PD9270CV 70-Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard features four charging modes and includes a safe, reliable 70-Amp power converter to provide filtered DC power to all your 12V lighting and appliance circuits. Its dimensions are 3.6 x 8 x 9 inches and it weighs in at 5.8 lbs.
Capable of safely recharging your RV’s battery to 90% in 2-3 hours, the powerful Progressive Dynamics PD9280CV 80-Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard features four charging modes and includes a safe, reliable 80-Amp power converter to provide filtered DC power to all your 12V lighting and appliance circuits. Its dimensions are 3.6 x 11.5 x 9 inches and it weighs in at 7.5 lbs.
RV Battery Charger Comparison
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these RV battery charger converters? Which converter charger are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our CarBatteryChargersCentral.com post! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the right RV battery charger converter for your needs!